I am in the market for a laptop that is LIGHT. The machine that my consultant is recommending is a "Sager" model 5580 - does anyone have any thoughts about this laptop?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

That laptop weighs 5.25 lbs and it is a 15". There are lots of laptops that weigh about half that called ultraportables. Usually these are a little bit slower, and are more expensive. The one you mention seems to be average on everything, price, performance, adn size. Are you looking for something really light, or are you looking for performance, or middle of the road. Also, with any laptop purchase, i recomend getting no less than a 3 yr warrenty. Anything less and you may be kicking your self later.

Thanks - the consultant is going to charge me about $2000 "fully loaded" - does that sound about right? Also, he told me that the ultralights have smaller screens (???)

Thats a lot of money to throw around...I would really do some research first, and maybe not go through a middle man to save you some money. Ultralights do have smaller screens, so they are easier to travel with!

Laptops usually come in 10.4, 12, 13, 14.1, 15, 17 inch screens. The size of the screen usually is pretty close to how big of a footprint the laptop is going to make when it is on your desk. I have a dell x300 (replaced by the dell x1). It has a 12 inch screen. I think it is a perfect size for traveling because it is under an inch think (really thin) and it weighs about 2.9 lbs. (The dell x1 is about half a pound ligher, and has a wide screen display.) The display doesnt bother me, but i would not like it to be my only computer. Then again, the larger the screen, the more cumbersome they are to cary around with you.

Another thing that is important to remember is a laptop is for traveling, so that means you need good battery life. You would like to go atleast 3-4 hours on a battery.

I configured a dell that is light but very fast. You can get 200 off from dell and i found a coupon code for 750 off any laptop over 2000.
It brings the total to 1299. It also has a 4 year warrenty on parts and also 4 years on accidental damage incase you drop the laptop and break it, or spill your morning drink on it and kill it, they will still replace it.

I applied the coupon code DHVNPQVH294STT to the order of a Inspiron E1405 Dual Core

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Inspiron E1405 Dual Core Qty 1
Intel® Core™ processor Duo T2400 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Unit Price $2,049.00
$750 off $1999+ Inspiron
LIMITED TIME OFFER! View Details Remove Coupon
- $750.00

Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron E1405 Intel® Core™ processor Duo T2400 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
LCD Panel 14.1 inch WXGA+ UltraSharp™ TFT Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 100GB Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Card Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 Mini Card (802.11 a/g, 54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) Microsoft Works Suite 2006- Includes MICROSOFT WORD plus much more!
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 24-months
Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Limited Warranty, Services and Support SAVE $50 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty, At-Home Svc, and HW Warranty Supt
Complete Care Accidental Damage Service Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 4Yr Lim Warranty
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service, Support
Mobile Broadband No Broadband Expresscard technology is available in the market now
Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

TOTAL:$1,299.00

I am not sure if this link will work so that is why i told you what it has but here it is: http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG&~tab=0

Hope this helps save you some money. Plus free shipping today too, you cant beat it!

Ok the link didnt work so here i will help you get a kickin computer.

Click this link here: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=E1405S4&s=dhs

choose Intel® Core™ processor Duo T2400 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB) [add $100 or $3/month2]

choose 14.1 inch WXGA+ UltraSharp™ TFT Display with TrueLife™ [add $50 or $1/month2]
TrueLife™ offers up to a 10% higher contrast ratio than the same display with an anti-glare coating

choose 100GB Hard Drive [add $115 or $3/month2]

chose 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery [add $99 or $3/month2]
Spend more time unplugged

leave everything else the way it is and click continue to the next page

then choose SAVE $50 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty, At-Home Svc, and HW Warranty Supt [add $150 or $4/month2]
Dell Recommended

and choose Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 4Yr Lim Warranty [add $119 or $4/month2]
Dell Recommended

then continue to the next last page and hit continue once more to checkout

then apply coupon code DHVNPQVH294STT in the box and you are all set for $950 off an awesome laptop :)

Hope this helps, but if you are thinking about it do it fast as the 750 off coupon expires at midnight tonight.

Good advice, I second that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.