I am a newbie, and amateur and I am curious and I hope someone will help me with this, I want to post a thread and Honestly ask where hackers come from, their history and how they got started and most importantly who are they

!. Mafia
2. Just plain smart guys having fun
3. Techies, creating business

All these three above I have listed, I have gotten from people as I have asked, who are Hackers, where do they come from.

Thanks,
Eagle4ever

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

What kind of hacker? You have the traditional hackers who treat learning new things almost as a religion, and the more recent hackers who break into and defend systems. Are you talking about the subculture as a whole, or do you want individual anecdotes? I can personally vouch that there's great variance in background amongst individual hackers.

To my good friend Narue,

You are talking over my head, I thought a hacker was the people putting bugs on comuters, and causing that nasty blue screen, makeing me reformat because I don't know what to do.

I hope that didn't sound sarcastic It wasn't meant to be, I am dealing with supper intelligent people on this web site, and I am just a newbie to computers.

from what you have said it sounds more like a virus than a hacker.
quick definition:-

hacker = SOMEONE ACCESSES DATA OR A SYSTEM WHICH THEY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO.

virus = COULD BE IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM AND COULD HAVE BEEN CREATED BY ONE OR MORE PEOPLE.

commented: Incorrect. +0

Then let me re-phrase my question, who is putting all these bugs on our computers and why, they make no money, so what do they get out of it. Are they Mafia, Smart guys having fun, or techies creating business, or what.

I know one thing they are vicious hateful people and they make sure no one enjoys a marvelous creation called the computer.

Then let me re-phrase my question, who is putting all these bugs on our computers and why, they make no money, so what do they get out of it. Are they Mafia, Smart guys having fun, or techies creating business, or what.

I know one thing they are vicious hateful people and they make sure no one enjoys a marvelous creation called the computer.

Those are the black hats and crackers...Why do they do it? To get a reputation, to become infamous.

Hackers no anyone sure about the hackers from where they came. i am also just hear about them. i don't know they are good or bad guys. what works they do???? i am also want to know about them.

Hmm, I think hacker is a person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and stretching their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.

But, cracker is a bad hacker who breaks security for his own profit.

Simple answer to solve the thread.

EVERYWHERE!

1) Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary, defines a hacker as a clever programmer. A "good hack" is a clever solution to a programming problem and "hacking" is the act of doing it. Raymond lists five possible characteristics that qualify one as a hacker, which we paraphrase here:

* A person who enjoys learning details of a programming language or system
* A person who enjoys actually doing the programming rather than just theorizing about it
* A person capable of appreciating someone else's hacking
* A person who picks up programming quickly
* A person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, as in "Unix hacker"

Raymond deprecates the use of this term for someone who attempts to crack someone else's system or otherwise uses programming or expert knowledge to act maliciously. He prefers the term cracker for this meaning.

2) The term hacker is used in popular media to describe someone who attempts to break into computer systems. Typically, this kind of hacker would be a proficient programmer or engineer with sufficient technical knowledge to understand the weak points in a security system.

3)A cracker is someone who breaks into someone else's computer system, often on a network; bypasses passwords or licenses in computer programs; or in other ways intentionally breaches computer security. A cracker can be doing this for profit, maliciously, for some altruistic purpose or cause, or because the challenge is there. Some breaking-and-entering has been done ostensibly to point out weaknesses in a site's security system.

4) The term "cracker" is not to be confused with "hacker". Hackers generally deplore cracking.

The cursed earth of Mordor. Forged through the remains of Morgoth's wicked sorcery, while The Dark Lord watches high above in the tallest tower of Barad-dûr.

Simple answer to solve the thread.

EVERYWHERE!

howdy!
the hackers would come from everywhere,indeed,but they could not be out off the net,nowhere to get out,right?
then,some of them would tell us where he is,like the George Hotz on his web,which would bring him a Windows Phone 7!
wow,cool!

nounnylee,

I am not sure what you are saying

nounnylee,

I am not sure what you are saying

He's saying "I want to spam the links in my signature and increase my page rank". The joke's on him though. Last I checked, signatures on Daniweb weren't visible to guests (including bots), so this attempt at spam fails miserably.

commented: True +0

HACKERS is not what you call to those persons who create viruses.
HACKERS are the people who illegally access things which they have no right

People are fond of doing things which are forbidden.You know what I mean. Hackers usually make ways to access things especially private things of others. It's fun for them and its fruitful for them.

So why did I regard it to be fruitful? For example, there's a site which offers limited access to download files unless you pay for registration. Then here comes the hackers. They make ways to full access the site so that they can download whatever they want even they are not truly registered. Isn't it so fruitful for them.

For fun , they are curious people exploring a lot of things. But often they end up on messing things of others.

HACKING is also a essential way of knowing how things get messed up. Learning the ways of hacking keeps you aware on what security perimeters you should have to avoid being hacked.

With regards to the viruses and bugs you're referring. In my opinion, those anti-virus companies are the ones making the viruses. Simple business marketing, how would they sell if there's no viruses. So they create viruses then later release the counter part of it.

The one who creates the virus is most likely the only one who could create an anti-virus for it.

In my opinion, those anti-virus companies are the ones making the viruses.

You wear a tinfoil hat, don't you?

by
+++The Mentor+++
Written January 8, 1986
Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

hackers come from aol and irc

[joking]

In my opinion, those anti-virus companies are the ones making the viruses.

You wear a tinfoil hat, don't you?

Watches too many gangster movies about the 30's protection rackets....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.