Do any of you outsource your work to handle increased work load or expand their business focus?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hi everyone,
yes.But before we outsource to them we make them sign a confidentiality agreement for not letting the source code out or to copyright the sources to themselves

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

My company outsources to save money. Why pay Americans $20-40 an hour when you can pay folks in other countries $6-12/hour? American's don't need good-paying jobs. Except for CEO's. They need to earn $500/hour because they are so brilliant that they thought of outsourcing.

The best part is that someday we'll make robots that can do our jobs and then we can insource again; this time to machines earning $0/hour.

Reading over my earlier post, I noticed that it sounds bitter. I'm not bitter. Companies need to survive, and outsourcing is one way to do it. That is good for the company. It is NOT good for the person losing their job, of course. And, it is natural for a person losing their job or in danger of losing their job to be nervous/worried/bitter.

There's an old joke that a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged. Well, I think a liberal is a conservative who lost their job to outsourcing.

:-)

(I mean that in a non-bitter way)

In this world i beleive ther is always a balance of things, and you are right for the person who looses his job, it's not really a pleasant situation. However the way I look at outsourcing is like import/export which has been on for years now.

There is always a better place to export from or import to, this is the same with outsourcing staff. so in the long run things will balance out

In this world i beleive ther is always a balance of things, and you are right for the person who looses his job, it's not really a pleasant situation. However the way I look at outsourcing is like import/export which has been on for years now.

There is always a better place to export from or import to, this is the same with outsourcing staff. so in the long run things will balance out

As someone whose job was eliminated when the entire US IT department was outsourced to CSC, I am in a leaky boat right now. I was "not chosen to be transitioned" to CSC when this occurred last summer. Don't you just love those euphemisms? It's now five months later, and I have still not found a job.

I might have to leave IT, since short term-consulting jobs are all I got in five months. I had a look at my bills, and none of them are "short-term bills."

I took a Network+ test and passed, but the CCNA test I take next might be my last money spent on pursuing a career in IT.

Of course, if you know of any desktop support/net admin jobs in the NYC Metro area, Northern New Jersey or Eastern PA, I might still have a shot.

Read more in my blog. :lol:

My company outsources to save money. Why pay Americans $20-40 an hour when you can pay folks in other countries $6-12/hour? American's don't need good-paying jobs.

My company does the same. The problem is that they aren't actually saving money. There are hidden expenses that are not so hidden after awhile.

It really depends on how you look at IS. Does your company see IS as an expense, or as a strategic investment? Our higher upfront salaries can pay off big in the long run. By outsourcing, you are moving your business knowledge into the hands of others. This makes it more difficult to control your path as a company.

You are starting to see some high-profile offshoring projects fail. I think the trend may reverse as IT budgets are increased.

Outsourcing is yet one more of those good ideas that have gone too far. Like an ad nauseum repeated catchphrase in a skit, after a while the fun stops. Outsourcing is good on some levels, but to outsource EVERYTHING (as some companies in my area have done) seems draconian and irresponsible. Most likely upper management is listening to the sales pitches of outsourcing companies who make big promises but don't reveal the whole picture. Outsourcing in moderation would be a better ideology. And I think the pendulum will swing back, as it always does during a buzz period.

And hopefully it will swing back soon! :eek:

My company outsources to save money. Why pay Americans $20-40 an hour when you can pay folks in other countries $6-12/hour? American's don't need good-paying jobs. Except for CEO's. They need to earn $500/hour because they are so brilliant that they thought of outsourcing.

The best part is that someday we'll make robots that can do our jobs and then we can insource again; this time to machines earning $0/hour.

Prey that I never meet you in real life, or you will be a sad sad person.

Outsourcing can be a very good thing, if you are a company that makes printers, and you want to provide paper, too, why on earth would you try to get into the paper market? Instead, you would find another company, and outsource the work to them.

Like if you are a legal company and you want to get pens, you wouldn't create a whole new devision of your legal company to make pens, you'd oursouce the work to another company.

What happened is, they took it too far, outsourcing alot of jobs to other countries where language issues arise, like dell with their tech support, and as someone else said, hidden costs. Your overall customer satasfcation will greatly decrease when their are communitcation problems.

There is a reason to pay a worker 20-40 dollars an hour, they do it better. Why in gods name would you move your entire IT support devision to china and expect better results, yet you only pay 1/10 of the cost..

CEO's need to get off their fat asses and do something.

Not totally ontopic but,.. do you know that the CEO of the RedCross makes 750k a year... I mean, wth ? I don't care if shes working 80 hours a week, its a Non Profit company, she could get by with 400k like mr predisdent does.

We outsource only our HR Functions.

regards,

my company do the same.

i work on some freelance sites

http://www.ranoo.com

or scriptlance or rentacoder but here the fees are to big :evil:

There is a huge market in the Small/Medium business consulting field. A small company will have someone handle the light work (usually someone that does something else already) and then hire us to do the heavy stuff (Servers, domains, VoIP, Routing, Firewalls, VPNs). Now, maybe I see it as a huge market because I see it day in and day out.

What I find is funny is this one time, I was at a customer and they had no one to handle the IT for them. I was working on a Dell and called the tech support and it turned out the HDD was bad. When I got done with the one guy, I got transferred to an American who double checked their work. What does that tell ya?

Yes. Many of the big companies and even small outsourcing their work. This will help them improved the quality of work providing by the company and of course having low cost of money, at the same time good earnings.

As what freesoft_2000 said, it has a contractual agreement which is confidential by both client and the supplier, so that the supplier will provide the service which is indicated in the contact.

As dollar value is reducing against euro ,rupee, yen s, outsourcing will stop in a decade or two maximum.

I work for an outsourcing company - they pay rubbish money!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.