I'm hoping some people here might be able to give me some advice on computer careers. I'm in my late 30's and considering a career change from architecture into IT. I honestly don't know a lot about the IT world, but from the research I've done I feel that possible avenues of interest for me might be DIS, systems analyst, infosec, health informatics or webmaster. My main reason for switching careers is that I'm looking for a profession that has high stability and job opportunities.

Here are my questions:

1) Are there certain areas of IT that are more stable than others? And is programming the only area facing a significant threat to overseas outsourcing?

2) Would entering the field in my early 40's be a major disadvantage? Is age discrimination a problem in IT?

3) What is the best route for education and training? I'm assuming I would need a bachelor's or masters, but is there a faster route that is still respected by employers, yet still pays very well?

4) What are the pro's and con's of IT careers?

Thanks in advance to those willing to take a few minutes and offer their advice.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

the IT field is saturated, just like all the other careers, it has a lot to do with business and reputation and money and who you know

It would likely be very tough to break in to a programming role at 40+ without having many years experience prior.

Server Administration will be a stream you can possibly look into just like us. :)

The IT sector to my best of knowledge is independent of age. All what is required of you is to get the job done and done well. I don't know your likes on computer based on areas whether programming or networking or hardware and etc. But i would advice you keep yourself inclined with what you feel you can do best in the IT world. If you feel you can do some repairs, then move on with it and get to the best you can.

The IT sector is also saturated but the fun thing is that its dynamic and things keep changing and improving. There's no end to technology so everyone is welcome on board. All that is required of you is to KNOW YOUR STUFF

There is no matter about age if you want to make career in IT field.But as you told that you have no more idea about IT field then make a career in IT field is very typical because at first you need to learn about computer terminology and more about computer.IT field is very good field for making career.But you can make acareer in IT field by doing any 6 month computer course or you can also take advice from career coach.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.