I’m in my second year of Computer Systems Technology – Networking course and I’m thinking of trying to find a job as a student to try to get more into my field and gain real world experience. I never had a job yet and never worked in an IT environment. I’m just looking for tips on what to put on my resume, and also what are some jobs that a student in his second can do?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

what knowledge/experience do you have? that's what you should put on your resume. don't go making things up.

If you have no work experience, theres not much you can do about that in your resume except not to focus on work experience. Do you have any awards or certifications that you can include in the resume? Any interships?

If you can afford to do some internships, take whatever they give you. The best part of an intership is not necessarily the expereince, but the opportunity for the company to evaluate your other skills such as people skills, customer service, oral and written communication, timeleness, organization etc...

The thing is that your potential employer can quickly determine if you have hte motivation to learn. They can teach you. What they are not interested in is hiring people with attitude and behavior problems. Its challenging to teach people how to be motivated, not to be late or be rude. So, the internships benefit both the internee and the organization.

get the word out through your social networks that you are interested in looking for an opportunity.

You may check some classifieds website which offer jobs and where you can also find the complete detail about job and you easily decied thst job is best for you or not.

what is a good job for a studnet in networking?

computer lab tech at your school or university in your city? This gives you exposure without an organization worrying about impacting a production network.

If you have no work experience, theres not much you can do about that in your resume except not to focus on work experience. Do you have any awards or certifications that you can include in the resume? Any interships?

If you can afford to do some internships, take whatever they give you. The best part of an intership is not necessarily the expereince, but the opportunity for the company to evaluate your other skills such as people skills, customer service, oral and written communication, timeleness, organization etc...

The thing is that your potential employer can quickly determine if you have hte motivation to learn. They can teach you. What they are not interested in is hiring people with attitude and behavior problems. Its challenging to teach people how to be motivated, not to be late or be rude. So, the internships benefit both the internee and the organization.

get the word out through your social networks that you are interested in looking for an opportunity.

Unfortunately this is true for many people. people skills , customer service, oral and written communication , timeliness ,... those things are come under soft skills. I think I already have those skils but the problem with me is hard skills , specially mathematics. I'll be honest I'm so poor in mathematics and algorithms.My this level of skills is not what an actual industry demand. I need to ramp up my skills. As my boss told me , I think with enough concentration and courage I could archieve those skills very soon.

These hard skills may not be a very important consideration when you seeking a job in Networking industry. But if you want to be a programmer then you need to be the best among the best . I think most of the programmers already have those soft skills.

no, you don't need to be a mathematical whizz kid to be a software developer.
I've always hated math, never truly "grasped" it all, yet I still earn a living as a software developer.

as putting up certificates as "experience", well ... it depends. there are countries where you'll never find a good job if you're not certified, but over here a certificate is more to fill an empty space,rather then an actual plus.

if you haven't worked yet, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to create a small "project" on your own, or join some other developers who 're working on an open source project. having some experience is better than just having a certificate anyway.

commented: I'm not too good at maths but make a living as a software dev too +0

Put your CV on a job website (such as 'Monster' in the UK), look for student placements and under grad jobs. I was in your position whilst at university but managed find a job. Be confident, sell yourself and focus on what you have to offer and not what you don't !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.