Like many people my age and older, I am hearing impaired. Specifically, I have lost hearing in the upper ranges. I find that I can manage reasonably well in face to face conversation, but I have a lot of trouble with recorded video. I use VLC which has a built in equalizer, and Songbird which has the same. However, I cannot use VLC for online videos unless I download them first. I also can't use VLC for Skype.

Fortunately I found a free and open source equalizer which can be set to affect all audio on my laptop. You have to configure it via a text file but that is not difficult. I am also in the process of building a simple GUI with sliders which will modify the config file. If anyone is insterested you can find 32 and 64 bit versions of Equalizer APO here.

Votes + Comments
what? upvote.
good to know. don't need it yet, but who knows ...
Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Reverend Jim

Fortunately I found a free and open source equalizer which can be set to affect all audio on my laptop. You have to configure it via a text file but that is not difficult. I am also in the process of building a simple GUI with sliders which will modify the config file. If anyone is insterested you can find 32 and 64 bit versions of Equalizer APO

I never that software til now. The closest audio software that I ever used was Pro-tools but it's pretty expensive. Equalizer APO might have similiar feature. I will try.

I use the VLC equalizer for movies. Using a "hill-shaped" equalizer profile works great to enhance the dialogs and dull out the background music. By "hill-shaped", I mean low gain on the low frequencies, low gain on the high frequencies, and maximum gain on middle frequencies, i.e., making the shape of a hill. I'm too young (still) to be hearing impaired (but it will come for sure, as it runs in the family), but that doesn't mean I enjoy the crazy high-volume background music and stuff in movies.

But I haven't really found a need for a system-wide equalizer. I know many exist in Linux, depending on the audio back-end drivers that your distro uses (ALSA, pulse, Phonon, gstreamer, etc.).

I think it would be more practical to have an equalizer for the browser. I wouldn't want the same settings for my music, my videos, and my browsing (i.e., youtube and stuff). Most music players (obviously) and most video players have a decent 10-band equalizer. And if anything else is playing sound on my system, it will be some video streaming in a browser. Anyone know of equalizers for browsers (chrome in particular)?

I used to use the Ska setting in VLC but I still had to adjust the settings. I started out looking for a browser equalizer plugin but was unable to find one. That's why I started using Equalizer APO. Once I build a GUI for it I can add a few presets and just toggle as needed.

And, yes, I find that the background music is way too loud, and the transition music between scene changes in some shows (Burn Notice, especially) is ridiculously loud.

Edited by Reverend Jim

If anyone is interested, here's the first (very simple) GUI for the configuration.

I can't open the file.

do you have a .wav file or .ac3 file?

It's a zip file. Any program that can handle a zip should be able to uncompress it. I downloaded it and opened it with winrar just to verify.

Edited by Reverend Jim

For anyone looking for a great GUI for Equalizer APO check out Peace. My only concern was that it was flagged by my anti-virus but that was because it is written using AutoIT and was compiled to an exe. It is quite safe.

Edited by Reverend Jim

Thanks RJ. May give it a whirl. Listening to loud music until my ears bleed has somewhat affected my hearing. Mind, this has the benefit of being able to tune-out the high-pitched hysteria preceding my "Oh Dog, what have I done now?" :)

The only thing it doesn't appear to work with is my hearing aids. I use them with a bluetooth connection just like bluetooth headphones. However, because the hearing aids already correct the sound for my particular loss it isn't necessary to further adjust the sound. Oddly enough I still need to correct the sound when using the hearing aids without the bluetooth.

Found the problem with bluetooth. It wasn't enabled in Equlizer APO. I ran the Configurator under the Equalizer APO start menu and enabled bluetooth.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.