With the Boy God announcing he is to step down from the Microsoft helm in a couple of years, and devote more time and energy to his philanthropic efforts, it begs the question: how will the world remember him?

For all his faults, and dubious Microsoft business practise, I have a funny feeling that he will be remembered as the richest man in the world who gave most of his riches back to it. If his third world plans come to fruition, then Gates will deserve to go down in the history books as one of the good guys.

Discuss. :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Heck, even though many people hate Gates 'cause of Microsoft's problems, you have to ask yourself something.

Where the heck would we be if Gates wasn't here?

And plus, the philantropy (sp?) of his Foundation doesn't hurt his image one bit. I, personally, applaud him. He's definitely not in the breed of the Kennedys or the Rockefellers, who (again, personal opinion) horde their money.

And yes, I definitely agree with ya Davey:

I have a funny feeling that he will be remembered as the richest man in the world who gave most of his riches back to it. If his third world plans come to fruition, then Gates will deserve to go down in the history books as one of the good guys.

Couldn't say it better myself :)

I think it's time though... Gates needs to leave the future of computer software to newer, more open minded people. He is a great guy, he is doing good, and Microsoft won't sink without him.

What exactly is Bill Gates not open minded about? Perhaps the word you meant to say was innovative or creative?

Open minded? Bill Gates? For all I see, he is one greedy tight-ass TV selesman.

Explanation:

Tight-ass - 1PC - $100 tax to him. Made it trough copyright law. Let's not forget where the NT came from and how did the MS-DOS - 3.11 - 95 - 98 - ME streak ended. If he was so open-minded, he would make Windows free of charge and not necessity to operate PC. Not even a MS-DOS is free of charge (still charging $20 although it is obsolete). Yup, the ultimate monopoly.
Only drawback in that case is there would not be a LINUX response to his "open-mindedness".
Imagine paying Tesla $100 for every power socket in your home.

TV salesman - his EVERY interview I saw on TV (CNN's Larry King Live included) is about some product where he starts showing how inventive and easy-to-use it is. 2 words: TV salesman.

Greedy - How much money does that man need? 1 billion is more than enough for next 50 generations of Gates family tree. That is the amount that he is "generous" to put in that foundation of his. Keeping 50 BILLION USD!!!! Generous? Nope, greedy as hell. The greediest man alive.

Er, actually the foundation has an endowment of $29.1 billion, has made commitments of $10.5 billion since it was founded in 2000, and made grant payments of $1.36 billion last year alone.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting :twisted:

And isn't he only giving his kids something like 3% of his fortune and giving away the rest?

I think Bill Gates is and ok person

If he was so open-minded, he would make Windows free of charge and not necessity to operate PC. .

you know and i know you don't need windows to operate a computer , you don't even need a harddrive to operate one .! Linux and others ,and no hdd Knoppex and others , live cd

I know (doh!) that you don't NEED windows to operate PC, but you NEED it to run 99% of software that has nothing to do with Bill Gates nor Microsoft, except using the platform. Therefore, you NEED windows to operate PC. I never once saw a PC game nor any piece of software in stores where I live that don't require Microsoft Windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.