I have a burner that i've been using to buren cd's. I tried to burn a dvd but it wouldn't let me it kept saying burn a cd. Do i need to install a dvd burner program. I use windows media to burn my cd's. Shouldn't i also be able to burn my dvd through windows media as well. Desperately need a answer.:sad:

Several possibilities.

• Do you even have a DVD burner? CD burners cannot burn DVDs, although it's possible for a DVD burner to burn CDs.
  • If you're trying to make an audio CD, it's not going to work very well if you're trying to burn a DVD, as I don't think that is possible. If you make a data CD though, a DVD should work fine.
  • There's also different types of DVDs. There's R/RW+ DVDs, and then there's R/RW- DVDs, and although I'm not completely sure what the difference is, if you use the wrong type, you could end up with some compatibility issues.

If nothing seems amiss, then you may want to try different software. I've had some software work for a burner and other software completely refuse ("Can't detect burner").

Hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.