Why I would buy a PC anymore?

I custom build my PC. I can control what I want and don't want with my PC. And of course, PC gaming! :cheesy: Macs aren't something you can put into the DIY computer category. And what about upgrading? I don't own a Mac, so I can't answer that.:lol:

About casing, IMO the more techie, and dysfunctional as sin that it looks, the cooler it gets. Besides, you'll get the occasional stares, and whispers about how ugly your box is. Hey, at least you're getting noticed. LOL :lol: But still, I'm going out on a limb here, but got to get it off my chest, I LOVE Macs designs. VERY, VERY NICE. Hehe.

Anyways, I just like PC cause I'm used to it and can control a lot of things about my PC from hardware to software. Dual booting with XP and Linux. Tweak this, tweak that. Love it. :cool:

Macs are ridiculously fun though. I felt like Radical Edward from Cowboy Bebop for the few seconds I used Mac.

I don't prefer macs philosophy either, they would have you throw out your computer every 6 months and get a new one (as they do with all their devices). Windows and Linux are open ended systems, Apple has no third party vendors. If you want a system with serious power, your own custom setup, and you can do it on whatever you want. My nickname for macs is and always will be "My First Computer". Ease of use only useful for the elderly, no person younger than 60 has any excuse for not knowing how to operate a PC. Macs are for the lazy. And for the people who want to pay out the eye. While Microsoft is not a company known for great company wide policies, I consider it the lesser of two evils. I wouldn't buy a Mac if just for that reason alone. And I hate how uninformed mac users are. They all seem to think that Windows users are people who should be pitied and made fun of, but the truth is Apple software is about as buggy as PC software. There are a number of mac myths perpetrated by the advertising and press releases from Apple (for a list check http://www.mac-sucks.com/). And generally Apple has made themselves out to be the villains in the Microsoft/Apple relationship. Microsoft has their fair share of problems too, but moving into the computer realm is like asking for problems anyway. But for the point you posed, For 1200 I bought the computer in my signature. I am willing to bet, for maybe 2000, prolly more, you could get a comaparable mac maybe. As I type this I just went to the online Apple Store and go a Pro with comparable specs to my own PC, with it costing just a bit above $3000. I saved 1800 just by building my own PC. And as for looks, I have had more compliments on my case than I bet any mac user could admit to. My setup looks nice and it performs like a champ. And who needs OSX? Is it really that great to have a piece of software most people are quoted on using for, "Video/Audio editing and ease of use"? I'm not sure about you guys, but I can find hundreds of programs for the PC that would do the same job on OSX, and do it just as well. If you're lazy, old, easily fooled by advertising, or some militant from Apple, go ahead and get a Mac. Oh, and I think the advertising when you go to get a mac from the apple store speaks leagues about Apple. For them to go out and antagonize PC users, makes it seem like Apple was that Middle/High School bully who took your lunch money. I owe them a beating or two. :)

You're not an Apple fan then :)

Nah, not really. :lol:

I don't prefer macs philosophy either, they would have you throw out your computer every 6 months and get a new one (as they do with all their devices).

Since when? I don't find the Apple policy any different than other computer vendors, which is to continually release new products so their product line doesn't get outdated. And if you want debate about getting a new computer, just remember the huge number of computers that will have to be replaced in order to run Vista.

My nickname for macs is and always will be "My First Computer". Ease of use only useful for the elderly, no person younger than 60 has any excuse for not knowing how to operate a PC.

Just because people use Macs doesn't mean they don't know how to operate a PC. For example, one of the main reasons I use OS X is because I like the interface. It's just personal opinion, but that doesn't mean I cannot operate a PC. In fact, I have used Windows for years.

Macs are for the lazy.

Sure, my idea of fun is spending hours installing Linux drivers so I can get my hardware to work. :rolleyes: It's my absolute joy to spend as much time operating my computer as possible, and not actually doing the stuff I want to do.

And for the people who want to pay out the eye.

Macs may be slightly higher-priced than competitors, but the thing many people don't realize is that they're fairly high end. For example, as already mentioned, I have a perfectly-functional Mac IIvi which is over 10 years old. That's something well made.

And I hate how uninformed mac users are. They all seem to think that Windows users are people who should be pitied and made fun of,

I can agree with you on that one. The sterotypical Mac user is smug, "doesn't have any viruses or spyware", and everything runs "perfectly". I can see why you get annoyed at them, being a PC user.

But for the point you posed, For 1200 I bought the computer in my signature. I am willing to bet, for maybe 2000, prolly more, you could get a comaparable mac maybe.

Perhaps, but you aren't comparing Apples with Apples (pun intended). You say that you built your computer yourself, something which you are currently unable to do with a Mac. And building a custom computer is nearly always cheaper than buying a package deal from a vendor such as Dell, Sony, etc.. So that isn't really a valid argument.

And who needs OSX? Is it really that great to have a piece of software most people are quoted on using for, "Video/Audio editing and ease of use"?

It's exactly what you just said: Macs are aimed especially at audio and video editing.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I can find hundreds of programs for the PC that would do the same job on OSX, and do it just as well.

You can, however you're forgetting the actual program design and structure which the user has to deal with. Would you just download any old productivity tool if you're making a high-end newsletter or something similar? I don't know about you, but I'd probably head straight to PageMaker or QuarkXPress, and rather not deal with all the useless crap out there.

If you're lazy, old, easily fooled by advertising, or some militant from Apple, go ahead and get a Mac.

I guess you can call me lazy if you want. But I like to spend as little time working with the OS as possible and actually getting work done.

Oh, and I think the advertising when you go to get a mac from the apple store speaks leagues about Apple.

The ads are somewhat funny if you have a sense of humor, but they aren't very effective in terms of advertising. Beating down on PC isn't likely to get them very many users, agreed with you on that. And you can't help but like the PC. ;)

Since when? I don't find the Apple policy any different than other computer vendors, which is to continually release new products so their product line doesn't get outdated. And if you want debate about getting a new computer, just remember the huge number of computers that will have to be replaced in order to run Vista.

I don't support the change from XP to Vista. It's not much of an upgrade. The point was, I can put Win XP on a Pentium II. Can you put OSX on a G2?

Just because people use Macs doesn't mean they don't know how to operate a PC. For example, one of the main reasons I use OS X is because I like the interface. It's just personal opinion, but that doesn't mean I cannot operate a PC. In fact, I have used Windows for years.

Never said all mac users were uninformed, but unfortunately, minorities get stuck with the masses. ::smilie::

Sure, my idea of fun is spending hours installing Linux drivers so I can get my hardware to work. :rolleyes: It's my absolute joy to spend as much time operating my computer as possible, and not actually doing the stuff I want to do.

Apparently you haven't checked out any of the latest distros, linux is very up on the driver field. I haven't had any problems on my dual boot XP/Red Hat

Macs may be slightly higher-priced than competitors, but the thing many people don't realize is that they're fairly high end. For example, as already mentioned, I have a perfectly-functional Mac IIvi which is over 10 years old. That's something well made.

Even with Dell, you'd be saving at least 30% compared to Apple. Also, I have a compaq my grandmother uses that's from 1996, that still runs.

It's exactly what you just said: Macs are aimed especially at audio and video editing.

Why pay 3 grand for something that I can get for 1?

You can, however you're forgetting the actual program design and structure which the user has to deal with. Would you just download any old productivity tool if you're making a high-end newsletter or something similar? I don't know about you, but I'd probably head straight to PageMaker or QuarkXPress, and rather not deal with all the useless crap out there.

Most of the apple softwares have a direct PC version you can get without any hassle.

I guess you can call me lazy if you want. But I like to spend as little time working with the OS as possible and actually getting work done.

Lazy. :lol:

The ads are somewhat funny if you have a sense of humor, but they aren't very effective in terms of advertising. Beating down on PC isn't likely to get them very many users, agreed with you on that. And you can't help but like the PC.

Yea, but that type of negativity just ticks me off. I don't like being stereotyped, mostly cause people perpetuate stereotypes.

The point was, I can put Win XP on a Pentium II. Can you put OSX on a G2?

Maybe not, but a G2 isn't quite the equivalent of a PII.

[edit]Just so you know, a G3 is roughly equivalent to a Pentium II, and most G3 Macs can indeed run Mac OS X.[/edit]

Apparently you haven't checked out any of the latest distros, linux is very up on the driver field. I haven't had any problems on my dual boot XP/Red Hat

I am well aware of the fact that the Linux distributions are improving the driver issues. My point was that being lazy means not working hard. I'd rather not work harder than I have to to get a task done.

Even with Dell, you'd be saving at least 30% compared to Apple.

You're not comparing apples with apples (pun intended). Apple is actually much higher-end than Dell, which is something you seem to be forgetting. A better comparison would be Sony and Apple, which happen to be quite similarly priced in terms of hardware.

Most of the apple softwares have a direct PC version you can get without any hassle.

Not necessarily, and like I said before, a software that does the same thing on a PC that another piece of software does on a Mac does not make them equal. There's other things, such as reliability, speed, and user interface which you have to factor into the equation. I'm not saying that Mac software posesses all these things while PC lacks them; not at all. But simply saying that PCs have the same capability as Macs does not mean you should pick the cheaper one.

I personally think that PCs are better suited for development. A Mac fan might tell me that Macs are just as good as PCs because although PCs have Visual Studio, Macs have Xcode. Well, I like Visual Studio better. It's just got a better and more powerful interface, and seems to be more mature than Xcode. So I'm not going to use a computer just because it's as capable as its competitor; I need better reasons to use it than that.

Yea, but that type of negativity just ticks me off. I don't like being stereotyped, mostly cause people perpetuate stereotypes.

I understand and completely respect that. Apple has no right to piss off PC users, and besides, using that advertising scheme isn't likely to win over very many PC users anyway.

here in the uk a mac mini with 512mb ram and 60gb hdd is about £450 - nothing else included

for that price i can get a dual core 1gb ram 120gb hdd dell complete with 19" tft

a standard imac is about £650 and it has similar (crappy) specs to the mini whereas for that price i could get a blazing fast pc

A macbook here also costs MORE than a better specced sony VAIO

Macs are so expensive!

> Macs are so expensive!

I think that's specific to the UK. I just checked the Apple site, and for example the 17" 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac is $1199, and a Dell XPS 710 is also $1199, Intel Core 2 Duo, and so they're actually very similar.

Of course if I lived in the UK I would probably not buy any Macs, either. :)

They say you get what you pay for man. I've been lookin' at the new Dual hard drive Toshiba satellite ss49 comin out the 20th. Its 1500.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.