Are they jsut fakes or do they actually work? how? and whats the best one?

cheers

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Yes they work they break the file down do make the download faster.

Flashget is a good one i have used it.i am sure others will post what they use.there are quite a few out there it is all in what works for you.

I'd venture to say they don't work. Your bandwidth is limited, and unless a download accelerator is making the tubes bigger, you won't get any more flow. Unless they have a special feature of compressing the file before you download it, but that seems overly complicated when good avertisting will get their product out...

Download acc don do any thing which is extraordinary ......ya they do split up the files and dwlds it thru multiple connections but all its doin is utilizing ur available bandhwitdh to the fullest...it does not actually accelerate ur dwld.

Download acc don do any thing which is extraordinary ......ya they do split up the files and dwlds it thru multiple connections but all its doin is utilizing ur available bandhwitdh to the fullest...it does not actually accelerate ur dwld.

How would that make the download faster? You send a request for a file to some server, it sends you the whole file. I don't think there's a non-p2p protocol that allows you to ask for specific sections of a file. And having multiple connections means having multiple sources of overhead. Odds are, either your connection will be used up anyways, or it's fast enough you don't need to worry about an accelerator...

How would that make the download faster? You send a request for a file to some server, it sends you the whole file. I don't think there's a non-p2p protocol that allows you to ask for specific sections of a file. And having multiple connections means having multiple sources of overhead. Odds are, either your connection will be used up anyways, or it's fast enough you don't need to worry about an accelerator...

A common problem when downloading from a busy server is that it limits the amount of bandwidth given to a connection so that it can process all connections. Using multiple connections allows you to (often) fool the server into thinking that there's 2 separate computers, and then therefore you get twice the bandwidth, assuming that your bandwidth is large enough to acommadate the increased downspeed.

Currently I'm using Orbit Downloader. Before this, I had used Getright, Internet Download Accelerator, and Internet Download Manager.

A common problem when downloading from a busy server is that it limits the amount of bandwidth given to a connection so that it can process all connections. Using multiple connections allows you to (often) fool the server into thinking that there's 2 separate computers, and then therefore you get twice the bandwidth, assuming that your bandwidth is large enough to acommadate the increased downspeed.

That is true, but how do you go about getting chunks of the file over multiple connections? It seems like that would only work when you're getting multiple files from the same server.

That is true, but how do you go about getting chunks of the file over multiple connections? It seems like that would only work when you're getting multiple files from the same server.

Well, I do believe a lot of servers allow you to start downloading a file in the middle of it. For example, some web browsers let you save a partially-downloaded file and then continue downloading it much later. I don't know much about the technical details of it, but if a browser can start downloading a file from an arbitrary point (depending on the server), then surely download managers must work that way, too.

From what I know, download accelerators doesn't connect to a single address to speed-up download, rather it also connects to mirrors. Basically you'll be downloading different pieces of the file from different locations. Like downloading 3 different files at the speed of 30kbps each. And since they're 3 different pieces of the same file, effectively you'll be downloading at 90kbps.

From what I know, download accelerators doesn't connect to a single address to speed-up download, rather it also connects to mirrors. Basically you'll be downloading different pieces of the file from different locations. Like downloading 3 different files at the speed of 30kbps each. And since they're 3 different pieces of the same file, effectively you'll be downloading at 90kbps.

Yeah its kind of like how bittorrents work

but at the end of the day dwld accelerator dwld at the same speed if no other dwlds r on thru any other s/w.

>but at the end of the day dwld accelerator dwld at the same speed if no other dwlds r on thru any other s/w.
Sorry I can't read Leet. Could you translate your post to English, please?

>but at the end of the day dwld accelerator dwld at the same speed if no other dwlds r on thru any other s/w.
Sorry I can't read Leet. Could you translate your post to English, please?

As the sun doth set, were none other softwares utilizing the downstream bandwidth, the gains brought forth from a download accelerator wouldst be for naught.

couldn't resist :lol:

commented: I don't know about useful but it WAS highly amusing. +0

As the sun doth set, were none other softwares utilizing the downstream bandwidth, the gains brought forth from a download accelerator wouldst be for naught.

couldn't resist :lol:

Thank you very much! I can now understand the post perfectly. :D

Member Avatar for yerbol

So the conclusion is they do work and they do speed up the download process. :)

I've tried ReGet, FlashGet. Currently I am using
Internet Download Accelerator

None of them work. If you don't believe me then try this:
Select a file you want to download and then start the download with your normal download manager and with the accelerator at the same time. Then wait and see which one finishes first. I have tried a lot of different managers and accelerators and I have to say that they actually decrease your speed. They might show high speed jumps for a few seconds (which is just a delay). What you have to keep an eye on is the average speed. Anyway the best donload manager I think is firefox's standard manager.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.