I have just finished building a website and would like to register it with the major search engines, can anyone advise on the best way to do this.
thanks for your responses
Cogmick

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Once you havae submitted at major search engines it’s time to submit your site at different directories with proper description, and keywords….
Also start marketing your site by blog/forum posting .
This will help you getting traffic.

The best way to get the search engines to find you is through the backlinks from other sites. Submitting to directories is one way to do this...That being said, being indexed by SE doesn't mean the site will be ranked. Continuing working on the content and creating something valuable is the key.

The best way to get the search engines to find you is through the backlinks from other sites. Submitting to directories is one way to do this...That being said, being indexed by SE doesn't mean the site will be ranked. Continuing working on the content and creating something valuable is the key.

I'm going to disagree with your statement that backlinks are the best way for search engines to find you. When you submit your site you know they know about your site. That's the only way you can know they know about your site. When depending on using links to be found you have to hpe the other webmaster adds your link and there can be a delay in doing so (a lot never do), hope they don't use 'nofollow', and then wait for their page with your link to be crawled which may take a while. You also have to hope their page with your link isn't considered part of a bad neighborhood or something similar otherwise the link is still worthless. Plus seeking links takes more time then a manual submission.

Getting links is important in SEO but it is not the way you should be trying to get listed in the search engines. Submit manually.

The best way to get the sites to pick up your site is to make sure that the code is clean and w3c compliant. Yes employ the nofollow where duplicate content exists on tyour site such as any printer friendly pages you might have. Links to high pr sites will help you to be found more quickly but are not the only way.

Links to high pr sites will help you to be found more quickly but are not the only way.

I think you mean links from high PR pages? We all know outbound links do not help you in any way and PR is on a page-by-page basis and not a site-by-site basis.

Apologies - typo!

No problem! I have a bad tendency of leaving the word 'not' out of my posts. What a difference that makes!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.