What is the fast method to get a site or a page indexed?How much time?
How do I know that a page is indexed?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

What is the fast method to get a site or a page indexed?

Submit your site to the search engines and then go get links to your home page.

How much time?

Some sites are indexed within days. Others take longer. There is no way to tell what will happen ahead of time.

Search for the URL. If it comes up, they know about it. If not, it isn't there yet.

... or, you can get yourself a Google account and use a SiteMaps. There is all the instructions at SiteMaps to get you going.

I use these for every web site. This way I need not concern myself with crawling, depth or frequency. I can pretty much control what webpages the search engine crawls and basically tell it when to come by for a visit.

You'll need to put your instructions to the searchengine in an XML files and upload that to your web server. Lots of free and good XML generators nowadays. Does all the stuff itself, just have to input the URL, check a couple of boxes and press GO. I use 'em all the time.

Now, this SiteMaps doo-hickey may not work well most of the time but you bet your auntie's poodle that it will work well at least sometime, soon.

Sitemaps is a part of Google Webmaster Tools :)

Sitemaps is a part of Google Webmaster Tools :)

oh, well then I guess you already said what I said, more encompassing too. I am being accidentally redundant, I guess.

I better go look at those tools again so I don't come across as a guy that thinks he knows it all when in actuallity he hasn't a clue as to what's going on.

ya, tools, better go find them...

Assuming you mean the two pages in your signature, I think you already figured out some of the answer.

Usually a forum post with a signature link will get a page indexed within 24 hours in big G; Yahoo! and MSN tend to take between 48-72 (I've found). Punch in site[IMG]http://www.webmaster-talk.com/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]domain.com) to see if the page has been indexed in your favourite search engines.

What is the fast method to get a site or a page indexed?How much time?

Indexing of SEs depends on the load or sites being indexed by SEs everyday....

Google index site in minimum of 3 days...

For faster indexing you post on forum post signatures, directory submissions, linkexchange with related sites (email the owner) and create sitemaps so that SEs easily crawls your site.......

You can create sitemap using this link

'coz SEs love indexing a pages with fresh data or contents...

What about subpages to your site. We are almost finished with our new site and I see that some pages are being indexed but not all of them. There is a sitemap and I have the google webmaster tools, but its odd how some pages are indexed and some are not, would you have to submit all the subpages one by one? Or just wait till the spider finally crawls it?

Thanks,

Newer sites rarely have all of their pages indexed. Each page is judged on its own merit and inner pages just don't have enough weight to be listed yet. You'll need to get more links to those pages and also to your home page which you can then channel to those inner pages.

High traffic blogs and news sites!

There are 3 ways of doing get your site indexed.

1. Manually submit your websites to the major search engine (add url pages)
2. Pay a company to submit it for you
3. Place a link on a site that gets crawled daily by the spiders.

I prefer option 3. Simply put a link on a site that gets regularly crawled.

It can take anywhere froma day to a few days.

newly created pages takes time to get indexed.. you have to keep building backlinks don't bother for innerpages they will get index once you get good number of quality links if possible use them in your forum sig or while directory submission.

So will the home page help bring up the other pages? Meaning once the home page gets indexed, will the others follow. We have had some pages on our older sites never get indexed. so with this new site we want to make sure we go about it in the right way. I have done the submissions to major search engines and we do have a blog.
How can we establish good quality backlinks? I assume thats a much harder thing to accomplish! Thanks!

Why not do both number 1 and 3? Seems like the best course of action to me.

So will the home page help bring up the other pages? Meaning once the home page gets indexed, will the others follow. We have had some pages on our older sites never get indexed. so with this new site we want to make sure we go about it in the right way. I have done the submissions to major search engines and we do have a blog.
How can we establish good quality backlinks? I assume thats a much harder thing to accomplish! Thanks!

We have had some pages on our older sites never get indexed.
Check for robots.txt file, you must have made mistake over there....do you have an updated sitemap (xml sitemap) which helps spiders to crawl inner pages.
For getting innerpages crawl and index try to get quality backlinks for inner pages too as you do for your homepage also try to have link for all inner pages from home page this will help you in getting innerpages crawl.
It takes time to get inner pages index it depends on many factors so keep building backlinks and keep patience.

From personal experience with using all three ways.

I found that option 3 works the best for me.

Here is why.

1. You submit your site manually

It can take anywhere from a couple of days - month + for it to be indexed.
I tried this way with a couple of my sites. After a month it was still not indexed.

Worst case scenario it don't get indexed at all

2. Pay companies to submit it for you.

You see all over the show companies promising to submit your site to thousands of search engines.

My friend if we think logically about this ...
# Are there a 1000 + search engines?
# How many major search engines are there?
$ Do you want to submit a search engine who get a couple of 1000 visitors a day or a SE who gets over a 100 million unique visitors a day.

Why pay $29 for a company to submit your site to 1000s of search engines, when there are only a handfull of SEs that are important for your website.

3. Place a link on a site that gets crawled daily.

I have tested this theory and it works for me. I can create a new site today and simply just place a link on one of my high crawled sites and within three days my site will be in Google, Yahoo and MSN / Live

Hope this help you

:)

We have had some pages on our older sites never get indexed.
Check for robots.txt file, you must have made mistake over there....do you have an updated sitemap (xml sitemap) which helps spiders to crawl inner pages.
For getting innerpages crawl and index try to get quality backlinks for inner pages too as you do for your homepage also try to have link for all inner pages from home page this will help you in getting innerpages crawl.
It takes time to get inner pages index it depends on many factors so keep building backlinks and keep patience.

Thanks for the input on the inner pages. We do have an updated sitemap, but I will have to check for robots.txt files.
Thanks again

If you have information inside frames, that can cause problems with submissions. It's best if you can create non-framed versions of your pages. You should then submit the non-frames versions of your pages which can of course point to your framed Web site. Alternatively, you can enter your relevant text within the noframes area of a framed page which most search engine spiders will read.

Have a clean code (as clean as you can), alt tags for images and titles for links. In 2-3 days Google should see you. I have clients with sites I am still working on and they appear already in google. And since they're still under work it's normal for me to not promote them yet..

Your web site can index quickly, If you have few back links from high page rank site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.