Hey everyone, I need some real help optomizing my site. Its been crawled sevleral times since openening around may 3rd and i still have a zero page rank. Is there something im doing wrong that is causing this? ive been submitting to directories, following a bunch of guides, added an RSS feed, added a guide (currently writing another).

Can anyone make any sugestions?

my site http://www.amokcomputers.com

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

PageRank is assigned immediately. You just can't see it. You'll have to wait until at least the next public PageRank update and maybe even to the one after that before you can see your pages' PageRank.

SEO has nothing to do with PageRank. PageRank is a mathematical formula that quantifies link popularity. It does not indicate whether a site is optimized. It does not indicate whether a site is any good.

Submitting to directories isn't going to help your rank much unless you are targeting minor keywords so don't expect that to do a lot for you. You should still do it for a new site to get it started, though, as you need to start somewhere.

RSS feeds don't really affect SEO. But still use them as you visitors may like them and happy visitors are a good thing.

Keep adding fresh content and promoting your site. Patience is key as nothing happens quickly with SEO.

If page rank is not effected by link submitions and SEO then what does? it was my understanding from other sites that the more back links you have, either from directories or other sources that most commonly effect PR.

How often is PR updated? month? year?

Thanks for all the help

page rank uptaded every 90 or 100 days and you can take an idea here: http://www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/page-rank-update-list.html
page rank is one of more than 100 factors. page rank will help you to rank well.
there is a diffrence between the backlinks and page rank which a math formula get more links from different page rank.
to rank well you need backlinks from related web sites with anchor text rich keywords and pay attention for others factors.
you can search "searchenginejournal" to get an idea about all seo factors

If page rank is not effected by link submitions and SEO then what does? it was my understanding from other sites that the more back links you have, either from directories or other sources that most commonly effect PR.

How often is PR updated? month? year?

Thanks for all the help

PageRank is affected by links both incoming and outgoing of which directory submissions can help. But it is not based on quantity. It's based on quality. You can have thousands of links and still be a PR1. Weak links from sites like directories will give you a tiny bit of PR but do absolutely nothing for your rankings.

page rank uptaded every 90 or 100 days

Public PageRank, which is what you see in your toolbar, is updated every three months or so and the number you see in that toolbar is rounded and is at least that old and most likely much older then that. Internal PageRank, which is what is used in the SERPs, is updated daily.

ok so basicly, i should stop trying to put links everywhere and focus on locations which are relelvent. Perhaps the manufactuers that i sell for would be willing to put something up.

Do outgoing links help me at all? also where do meta tags fit into all this? I know they dont contribute to PR or anything like that but they have to have some purpose right? are there other meta tags or other header information that should be placed besideds keywork and title?

Do outgoing links help me at all?

No.

also where do meta tags fit into all this? I know they dont contribute to PR or anything like that but they have to have some purpose right?

Meta tags do not affect SEO.

are there other meta tags or other header information that should be placed besideds keywork and title?

The title tag is not a meta tag. And the only tags that you should use are the description, keyword, and robots tag but only use the robots tag if you wish to block content from being indexed. Otherwise it serves no purpose.

"description" meta tag can help to increase your ranking and not page rank.
- outgoing links will help in the case that you point your outgoing to relevant web sites and avoid dead links.
you can used outgoing links to encourage others people to point a backlinks to your web sites.(this practise is more important for blog than web sites).

SEO has nothing to do with PageRank. PageRank is a mathematical formula that quantifies link popularity. It does not indicate whether a site is optimized. It does not indicate whether a site is any good.

Google uses many factors in ranking. Of these, the PageRank algorithm might be the best known. PageRank evaluates two things: how many links there are to a web page from other pages, and the quality of the linking sites. With PageRank, five or six high-quality links from websites such as www.cnn.com and www.nytimes.com would be valued much more highly than twice as many links from less reputable or established sites....

PR is one factor of Google but it based on quality links only....

"description" meta tag can help to increase your ranking and not page rank.

Not true. Meta tags do not help your rankings in any way. The meta description tag may be shown in the SERPs but it is not used to rank that page.

- outgoing links will help in the case that you point your outgoing to relevant web sites and avoid dead links.

It won't help your rankings but linking to a good website will make your visitors happy.

you can used outgoing links to encourage others people to point a backlinks to your web sites.(this practise is more important for blog than web sites).

Reciprocal links have little to no value in SEO. They are devalued because of they are seen as a manipulation of the SERPs. One way links are much more valuable. Plus if the site you link to is in a link farm and they link back you may be considered part of that link farm which is obviously a bad thing.

Your site looks good, but you wanna think about changing the font color, its a bit hard on the eyes.

also, your site is not SEO friendly, e.g when i click on a category or a product, in the URL its just say "product" and not the name of the product.

I'm agree with "stymiee"... As well as add good quality contents or articles to your site.

I'm more than a little confused...
throughout this thread it has been stated that neither KeyWords nor Description haev any affect for Search Engine Results.

If that is the case - why are they still recommended and why are they still used???

Additionally, stating the reciprocal links can be a bad ting - how the hell can you stop a site liking to you?
You may block the link (prevent traffic from that IP/URL etc.)... but you cannot actually revent people linking to you.

So please explain these things.

I'm more than a little confused...
throughout this thread it has been stated that neither KeyWords nor Description haev any affect for Search Engine Results.

If that is the case - why are they still recommended and why are they still used???

Because they do serve other purposes. One prime example is that Google and MSN will use the meta description tag in their SERPs for pages that they cannot find a suitable description for.

Additionally, stating the reciprocal links can be a bad ting - how the hell can you stop a site liking to you?
You may block the link (prevent traffic from that IP/URL etc.)... but you cannot actually revent people linking to you.

You can't control who links to you but you can control who you link to. A reciprocal link takes two links to be reciprocal.

The Descript is moot... as they will apaprently take the first chunk of text they encounter instead if the Description is not there ???

Good point about the reciprocal needing two though ;)
Do you get -points for a shite site linking to yours though?

The Descript is moot... as they will apaprently take the first chunk of text they encounter instead if the Description is not there ???

Sometimes you will rank well for text you don't have on your page due to off page factors. In these cases, and maybe others, the meta description is shown.

Do you get -points for a shite site linking to yours though?

Maybe, maybe not. The worst those links can be worth is nothing. So it can only get better from there.

Thank you.

I guess I'm just being incrediably negative regarding all of this... but as there is little chooice, I guess I will jsut have to "suck it up" and deal with it ;)

Thank you for being both patient and informative.

Hi

Make sure you are using right and specific keywords. Tally it with your competitors. You can find yourself why they have High PR than yours. It is very obvious, they will have better article content which updates frequently, has quality back links, well stuffed contents with keywords and keyword density.

Compare this factors and do what they do.., because their goal is always you goal too..

Steve

Optimizing site is tells about what is your targeted keywords or does your keywords competitive to your site. What you mean is the link building done by the SEO , this was directory submission , rss feeds and a lot more. Maybe the reason why you have no page rank because of the quality of backlinks does your site have. Continue with the link building and build quality content.

Hello,

you need to wait for 3 months now the pagerank is taking more time to update we need to just wait and see just gone submiting your site to free directories or outsource your directory submission

Hello,

you need to wait for 3 months now the pagerank is taking more time to update we need to just wait and see just gone submiting your site to free directories or outsource your directory submission

Actually PR is updated daily at Google. Public PR is only updated every three months but that doesn't matter as Google uses their internal PR and not that public number.

Okay - just to clarify... and if others would confirm...

!!! Ignore the sodding green bar on the toolbar !!!

It has little to do with much else - it is often out of date, doesn't reflect everything is is basically misunderstood.

Concern yourself with "Search Engine Rank"... ot "page Rank".

hey
Google bots scan what is new. Having links in and out of your site does help but only by a percent. If you constantly update your site with fresh code, i guaranty it will be crawled extreamly quick and Google makes records of regularly updated sites. So it will only get quicker and quicker once it gets crawled.

Hope this helps

hey
Google bots scan what is new. Having links in and out of your site does help but only by a percent.

Having links out of your site do not help your rankings.

If you constantly update your site with fresh code, i guaranty it will be crawled extreamly quick and Google makes records of regularly updated sites. So it will only get quicker and quicker once it gets crawled.

Actually PageRank is a larger factor in determining crawl frequency as opposed to how frequently you update your content.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.