How many of you have seen somebody make helpful comment after helpful comment, or release great hacks/code, and then head over to their site because you were impressed with what you had seen of them on other sites?

Probably most. :)

The converse applies...I know of a few people whose sites I would have to literally stumble across before I would actually go there, simply from what I have seen of their posts on various fora.

So, instead of focussing solely on spamming..getting your site known through direct advertising, think about the simple act of being a good contributor, and the people will come to you.

Kall's thought for the day. :)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Kall your always thinking up the good stuff! Keep up the good work.

How many of you have seen somebody make helpful comment after helpful comment, or release great hacks/code, and then head over to their site because you were impressed with what you had seen of them on other sites?

Probably most. :)

The converse applies...I know of a few people whose sites I would have to literally stumble across before I would actually go there, simply from what I have seen of their posts on various fora.

So, instead of focussing solely on spamming..getting your site known through direct advertising, think about the simple act of being a good contributor, and the people will come to you.

Kall's thought for the day. :)

:) Good thought... I had kept one cool mod just to myself till now ( and on vb.nl). After reading your post, i am inspired to release it on .org too.

(So that Rex can also chip in and rease the mod he made for my hack ;) )

That's an exellent way to put it.

It's sometimes hard when you have a new forum and you are desperate for people (*cough* ;) ) but it doesn't make me or my forum look good just to spam random begging.

I like helping people. I am by no means an expert on anything but I do think I can offer some good advice some times. I don't generally find the right place where I can feel I can do that but this place looks like it. :)

With that said, where is your forum signature advertising your site, Kall? ;) Hehe.

With that said, where is your forum signature advertising your site, Kall? ;) Hehe.

Actually that doesn't seem to be working right now. I'd certainatly like to check out Kall's site.

Edit:

Whoops. Just figured out how do that. Sorry. n00b. :o

Really awesome site BTW Kall!

There is a 10 post minimum to have a signature. Both you and Kall have 10 posts ;) Hint hint nudge nudge.

That is an excellent suggestion Kall, spamming will never get you good members, Usually people who will follow you to your site because you made a good post or helped them will end up being your friend or atleast on good terms with you and thus make good members on your site.

I say being a good member on *any* random forum isn't good enough. You need to be a good member on a similar forum with people of similar interests as your own forum and you'll get better results.

There is a 10 post minimum to have a signature. Both you and Kall have 10 posts ;) Hint hint nudge nudge.

But...but...I *have* a signature...it just ain't showing up in any posts!

*wonders if it will show up now*

Well, it's there now.

UPDATE post set showsignature=1 where userid=20928 ? :)

I agree completely --

Proving yourself to be a diligent responsible, and respected member of ANY community will attract visitors to your profile links, and as an owner of a community myself, I couldn't agree more that spamming has an adverse effect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.