Hey there,

I wondered upon this site through a advertising link on the php forum and thought it was a great site with interesting tips and hints.

I was wondering if you could help me though - my php forums were hacked therefore I had to delete all of my 2000+ posts there :( before it was a sort ofa community, like a half made one. I want my site to have a full community where it isnt only me that replies to things. Im just wondering what steps can be made when starting a fresh that you guys have found useful for your successful sites?

Many thanks

Regards

Mark

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I am still their with my site but i find if you offer thing for the user like forum shop, free email and free blogs they sign up.(but not always post)!

Hmmm it is a shame that the PHP forums aren't as customizable as Invision etc?? unless that may be a possibility. My forums about Reviews of games and films, as well as film news.

I'm very confused what you mean. Invision forums were written in the php language. Are you referring to the phpBB forum system, which was also written in the php language?

Building a community isn't all about the add-ons. The first thing that you have to do is do some damage control - send an email out to all of your members informing them that you were hacked and lost everything, and would really appreciate all of their help to build a bigger and better site.

I'm very confused what you mean. Invision forums were written in the php language. Are you referring to the phpBB forum system, which was also written in the php language?

Building a community isn't all about the add-ons. The first thing that you have to do is do some damage control - send an email out to all of your members informing them that you were hacked and lost everything, and would really appreciate all of their help to build a bigger and better site.

Ah, yup I see, Im not too in depth with scripts and what not.

Im not totally sure on how to find all the members email addresses, as the person who hacked me changed my account name, to his. I have replaced the forum with the page informing visitors of what have gone on.

-Cheers

Is the entire database gone? Do you have a backup copy of it? Perhaps you can contact your webhositng company and see if they have a backup?

I've asked to see if they have a database backup and nope they don't shame.

I have what remained of the forum on my computer unabling me to gain any kind of admin rights when online.

Can you log into the database via a program such as phpMyAdmin?

I see phpMyChat on the cpanel. But not phpMyAdmin, I dunno whether my host offers that.

www.phpmyadmin.net <= it's a free download

www.phpmyadmin.net <= it's a free download

Thanks a lot for that, I have the new forum uploaded now and Im just waiting for a few extensions etc. before it is up and running ::)

On my Romanian Martial Arts forums I had some issues with members, wanted to install a new script (IPB - 1.2 free) and start on a new host. I had 10 thousand posts in a 3 years old forums (was on phpBB). After one member made me angry once again I just installed a new script and started some topics there. Emailed my best members and they moved in the same day.

We started from scratch. 2-3 months later: 3000 posts and growing fast. Sometimes starting all over again is a good idea :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.