Hi, I run a phpBB bodybuilding forum and the guy that set it all up for me and I have fallen out recently. He is threatening me with a back door in my php syntax. Its well beyond my capabilities and is getting me worried.

Can anyone help me at all?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, I run a phpBB bodybuilding forum and the guy that set it all up for me and I have fallen out recently. He is threatening me with a back door in my php syntax. Its well beyond my capabilities and is getting me worried.

Can anyone help me at all?

1) First and foremost immediately make a complete backup of your whole database and web site.

1.a) How do you manage your mySQL database?

1.b) How do you manage your web site?

2) Upgrade your system to latest (I believe 2.0.13),

3) and then make a second set of backup (do not over write your first set from step #1)

4) Go through all user accounts and make sure there are no users with special rights other then yours.

5) Delete yours, and create a new user

6) make sure your password is strong (long and complex)

7) install security MODs - There are several available that will enhance phpBB's security.

8) Make sure your domain name information is yours and not his - remove all reference of him, if he is on it.

9) pray

Take the above precautions but keep in mind 90 percent of times these threats are just threats, people use a couple of technical words and make you belive that they know how to hack. Follow Liberate's advice and just forget about the whole thing.

Ive got so much to learn. Thankyou for the advice. In answer to questions about how do I manage mySQL........I dont and have a few problems there too. If nothing else it has motivated me to get reading this stuff and no doubt I'll have some more questions for you real soon.
Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.