I received an email from this company. They are selling domain names under [url]www.website.ws[/url] I think Dani mentioned that you always want to have a dot com website address. Why does it matter if it's .com, .net, .ws? Is anyone familiar with this company?

I thought to myself why would I want to pay $10 a month for email, website domain when I have these services through my ISP provider. When I checked it out the company pays you 10% of the sales each month for those people you refer that sign up along with your people signing other people. Am I naive and is just another scam out there? Maybe I've just answered my own question. :rolleyes:

Input please:) Thanks! Leslie

[SIZE=1][I]Global Domains International is like a lot of Internet companies in that it had a successful launch but had to slash staff in the last few years as the economy took a dive and technology companies fell out of favor.

But there's one huge difference. No matter what, you can't call it a dot-com.

Global Domains, which is based in Carlsbad, sells domain names for Web sites. Only, the company sells names that end in dot-ws, instead of dot-com (which are sold by Network Solutions, a unit of VeriSign).[/I]

[I]Global Domains International, Inc., ([url]www.WebSite.ws[/url]) based in Carlsbad, CA, has been named one of America's entrepreneurial growth leaders by Inc magazine, which today released its 2002 Inc 500 ranking of the nation's fastest-growing private companies. The ranking will appear in the magazine's special Inc 500 issue, which hits newsstands on October 15.

Global Domains International achieved 3479% growth in the past five years, ranking #37 on the list of 500 fastest growing companies in the United States, #5 in California, and #2 in San Diego with sales growing from $261,000 in 1997 to $9,341,000 in 2001.[/I][/SIZE]

Recommended Answers

All 115 Replies

I think Dani mentioned that you always want to have a dot com website address. Why does it matter if it's .com, .net, .ws?

Suppose you saw an advertisement for CoolCompany and you want to check out their webpage. Wouldn't you open a web browser and instinctively type www.coolcompany.com?

Let's take a real life example. Suppose you wanted to buy a Sony tv but wanted to investigate it first. Wouldn't you type in www.sony.com even if you had never been to Sony's site before?

Having a .com extension just makes company branding a whole lot easier. If it was sony.ws, then Sony would need to specifically market "Sony.ws" on everything. And even so, a handful of their prospective customers, would still end up at Sony.com.

But they don't have Sony.ws ... they have Sony.com ... so they only need to market the part that matters - the company name - the brand name - Sony.

Also, especially in the technology industry, or for a site like DaniWeb, many web-saavy people realize that certain domain extensions such as .tk, etc. can be ordered for free or minimal cost. Therefore, if you're planning on starting up anything other than a personal site with such a domain extension, it may come off as cheesy.

I did a lot of checking via Google and everything stacks up to what GDI is - a pyramid scheme. I loved their building picture on their web site - but their memorandum of agreement with the Samoans only lists a suite number. I just got introduced through e-mails from my sister, only to find out they're auto e-mails from GDI with her name in the "From." Can't junk mail my sister's name.

Fair enough Dani but not alot of people do that now, most of them go straight to google and type sony and it takes them to sony's site, atleast thats what I do. In todays world you will be mighty lucky to find a .com domain which exactly matches your requirment.

Fair enough Dani but not alot of people do that now, most of them go straight to google and type sony and it takes them to sony's site, atleast thats what I do. In todays world you will be mighty lucky to find a .com domain which exactly matches your requirment.

Not necessarily true. And besides, if you're going to try and brand a huge site, you'd likely want to find something unique enough that allows you to own most of the TLDs for it.

I've never been a big fan of .WS, but having one doesn't mean you are not a legitimate company.

It does not matter wheather it is a .com .net or .ws the .whatever is a registered whith ICANN Its all the same, it takes you to the website.

As for GDI Domains, you get a domain name that you otherwise could not get with a .com

Also the words that are in between the www. and the .com or .ws are key words in the eyes of the search engines! And when the are seperated with a - the indexing is even better. The domain name (key words are important if you want your website to rank high in the search engines, for your key words.

Im a rep with gdi and Im glad Im with them, because I have the domain name << url snipped to comply with forum policy >>
which I could never get with a .com

regards

Hello,

I have joined GDI as It provides a personal website and the opportunity to earn residual income. Some one mentioned this is a pyramid scheme?? What proof do you have? I am interested in your reply and where I can find out more info on this.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let everyone know I've joined. I have recently got myself a domain name through DOT WS (GDI) and have started builing my website already. My main website is a .COM (<< Snipped by moderator>>) but I thought I'd have a link to my .WS on it.
It seems like an interesting Business Op. I do not think of it as a Pyramid Scheme as I have had plenty of experience with these little buggers in the past and I am therefore very cautious. It IS a Multi-Level Marketing Business though - some are bad, some are good. It does seem to benfit both parties though! The buyer (like I originally was) benefits from paying $10 a month and gets a domain name, advice on building a website, all the tools (incl. an Online Site Builder) & a Business Op. @ the same time..... & the seller gets another downline. I didn't think that was too bad!? To sum up - I think it's worth giving it a go and I will keep you all up-to-date on my progress, if you find this useful. Cheers, Rick.

I did a lot of checking via Google and everything stacks up to what GDI is - a pyramid scheme. I loved their building picture on their web site - but their memorandum of agreement with the Samoans only lists a suite number. I just got introduced through e-mails from my sister, only to find out they're auto e-mails from GDI with her name in the "From." Can't junk mail my sister's name.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO GLOBAL DOMAINS AND MANY OTHER COMPANIES. WHAT MAKES MLM DIFFERENT FROM A PYRAMIND SCHEME? I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT THAT IS.

I have been receiving emails from GDI for several weeks. They tell me to email myself if i want to get off the list. Duh.
If this is a legitimate company, they are poorly run.
Last night, someone actually called me up, saying I had requested them
to call about a .ws signup. Totally untrue. He said he was calling
from some island in British Columbia!
It's possible they are a victim of some kind of spamming, but hard to believe since it's been going on for weeks.
Whatever. I certainly wouldn't do business with someone who is not
in control of their situation.

I've Also Joined Gdi. My Peoblem, I Don;t Know Jack About Computers. I Can Barely Figure Out This Site. I Was Hopeing It Would Teach Me Somethin. How Are You Doing With Gdi? Any Advice? Thanks.

Hi Kinkema,

I have been with GDI since the end of last year. The matrix (compensation plan) they use is a pyramid (shape) and based on MLM (5 levels deep, almost unlimited wide).

Unlike most MLM programs though, you are paid on existing customers, not just new ones.

Also there are no monthly sales quotas to meet, no qualifications to be met before you can earn income or any other pressure.

You work the business at your own pace. The maximum amount you will ever have to pay is $10 per month. Commission is 10% ($1) therefore you only need 10 customers to break even. And that is not 10 new ones every month.

As an affiliate, your only job is to find other people to watch the video. They then decide for themselves whether to take the 7 day free trial. That's it - you don't have to get deeper involved than that.

If you do not understand how it all works, don't worry. The domain you registered automatically points to your affiliate website when you join.

If you do want to use your domain however, you can. It depends on your website skills. In my team, I offer an optional Co-op advertising program where all the "geek" stuff is done for you.

It will take a while before Dot WS names catch on, but as Dot COM ones only become harder to get, people will be forced to look elsewhere. Also, the price through resellers has fallen below $10 per year; making them as competitive as Dot COM.

This is my first post here, so I don't know about using signature links. But I have set up my profile info.

Hope this helps,

Graham from Australia

I have been receiving emails from GDI for several weeks. They tell me to email myself if i want to get off the list. Duh.
If this is a legitimate company, they are poorly run.
Last night, someone actually called me up, saying I had requested them
to call about a .ws signup. Totally untrue. He said he was calling
from some island in British Columbia!
It's possible they are a victim of some kind of spamming, but hard to believe since it's been going on for weeks.
Whatever. I certainly wouldn't do business with someone who is not
in control of their situation.

Fooms, I believe you are mistaken.
Here is a copy/paste of the opt-out message from a GDI form generated email:
Your name was entered into an automatic invitation system by [sponser], whose email address is [sponser's email]. If you want to ensure you never receive another invitation at [your email address], please click here

note that the word "here" is a hyperlink which will allow you to opt-out your email address.
And yes the sponser can be located anywhere in the world because this is a Global operation.

Anyway hope this clears up some misconceptions for you.

Never ceases to amaze me at how people like to jump the gun and spread misinformaton about something they know very little about.

An one comment about pyramid businesses. Think about capitalism itself - it is a pyramid. Manufacturer at the top sells products to distributors who sell to other distributors, who sell to retail merchants, who in turn sell to end users.
Each selling the product for more for profit. If you drew this out you'd get a pyramid. hmm... Imagine that.

The pyramid schemes that suck are the ones which require each associate to purchase a couple hundred dollars of product every month. These are the ones that usually take advantage of people.

But GDI is the first company that I've seen which offers a useful reusable product for a very reasonalbe price and provides a way for each member to take part in the profits.

Thank you.
Joe

hi all i just joined gdi can anyone help me with it please thanks!

Hi frances_eva,

There is an unofficial forum for GDI affiliates here

You can ask specific questions there.

Cheers,

Graham

thanks are you a gdi user too?

thanks are you a gdi user too?

Yes I am. My profile info should help you.

Graham

well hows your domain business going then? is it ok? can you give me some tips or help? hehee

Hi i also would like to know when you sign up with GDI, do you get any hosting space to do your own? stuff and if so how big is it?.
thanks
kig

Hi i also would like to know when you sign up with GDI, do you get any hosting space to do your own? stuff and if so how big is it?.
thanks
kig

Hi Kigo,

I urge you to check out the complete info and short movie presentation at

http://www.movie.ws/yoogle

But to answer your questions, for web hosting information specifics take a look here:
http://www.movie.ws/yoogle/hosting

You have basically two options: WebSite Builder which allows you 10MB and up to 6 pages or Do It Yourself Webhost Premium which allows you up to 100MB. or you can provide your own hosting.

10 email addresses which you can access via POP3, IMAP, WEB, or Email Forwarding.

Also see the FAQ at the first URL above.

Now that you reviewed all the information and watched the movie presentation, I invite you to signup and take it for a TEST DRIVE FREE For 7 DAYS. Go ahead you have the keys. Rev it Up! Kick the tires around! I don't mind! Put it through the paces!

Then let me know what you think about it!

And just think after awhile it even pays for itself and pays you! What more could ask from a website? Um, to promote your business(es), hobbies, information, etc. WOW it just keeps giving!

Thanks, Kigo - Welcome to the GDI Family!

-Joe Tuck
GDI Independent Representative

hi all im new to gdi and don't have a downlkine yet hope uyou guys can help me, thanks

Hi, yes and I'm so glad I did, it has saved my networking home business, and without it, I'd be just another affiliate trying to get noticed in a sea of lost souls. If you are looking for a great top level world wide domain name and dot.com, dot.net, dot.org is already taken, then you can probabley get your dot.ws (.ws stands for WebSite what better branding could there be) domain name you are looking for, and there is an added bonus that come from getting your dot.ws name, you will also have a home business opportunity built in with that ws domain name if your so choose. Everything you need to design your website comes built in also, hosting, 10 e-mail accounts, e-mail forwarding, url forwarding, and all for an amazingly low per month cost. If you sign up now you can recieve a 7 day FREE trial with no obligation. I absolutly love my ws domain name, have make hundreds of new friends from around the world. We have such a great time with website.ws, just truely amazing, if you haven't listened to how this all came about, you should.

The experts predict 500 million new domain name will be registered in the next 10 years, the good dot.com names are mostly taken, and the largest increase in toplevel domains are coming from country codes, which dot.ws is, its a great story about entrepreneurs. Yahoo.ws has a site under construction, the big name companys are already scrambling to get their names. All it takes is a visit to get all the information you need.

Best Regards,
Gary Cooper

hi all i just joined gdi can anyone help me with it please thanks!

Hi, we have a yahoo group for WSexperience, your welcome to drop by and view all the information there.
Regards, Gary

I received an email from this company. They are selling domain names under www.website.ws I think Dani mentioned that you always want to have a dot com website address. Why does it matter if it's .com, .net, .ws? Is anyone familiar with this company?

I thought to myself why would I want to pay $10 a month for email, website domain when I have these services through my ISP provider. When I checked it out the company pays you 10% of the sales each month for those people you refer that sign up along with your people signing other people. Am I naive and is just another scam out there? Maybe I've just answered my own question. :rolleyes:

Global Domains International is like a lot of Internet companies in that it had a successful launch but had to slash staff in the last few years as the economy took a dive and technology companies fell out of favor.

Global Domains, which is based in Carlsbad, sells domain names for Web sites. Only, the company sells names that end in dot-ws, instead of dot-com (which are sold by Network Solutions, a unit of VeriSign).

Global Domains International, Inc., based in Carlsbad, CA, has been named one of America's entrepreneurial growth leaders by Inc magazine, which today released its 2002 Inc 500 ranking of the nation's fastest-growing private companies. The ranking will appear in the magazine's special Inc 500 issue, which hits newsstands on October 15.

Global Domains International achieved 3479% growth in the past five years, ranking #37 on the list of 500 fastest growing companies in the United States, #5 in California, and #2 in San Diego with sales growing from $261,000 in 1997 to $9,341,000 in 2001.

========================================================

Hi,
Me also just buy a new domain, (<snip>), the reason I buy number 1, because I still don't have a dow ws address, and number 2, I think this also is a business. Just like other company supply domain name to their customer, 3 the capital is very low, $10 monthly. Worlth Trying. For me this is a good idea, get paid to use domain name. Just like what I'm sharing with my friend previously, how to get paid to use phone service, get paid to use it, don't just pay for nothing, most of my friend can accept this idea like (<snip>) . Everybody have their own reason, and everybody Is right. Thanks.

I received an email from this company. They are selling domain names under www.website.ws I think Dani mentioned that you always want to have a dot com website address. Why does it matter if it's .com, .net, .ws? Is anyone familiar with this company?

Global Domains International is like a lot of Internet companies in that it had a successful launch but had to slash staff in the last few years as the economy took a dive and technology companies fell out of favor.

Global Domains, which is based in Carlsbad, sells domain names for Web sites. Only, the company sells names that end in dot-ws, instead of dot-com (which are sold by Network Solutions, a unit of VeriSign).

Global Domains International, Inc., (www.WebSite.ws) based in Carlsbad, CA, has been named one of America's entrepreneurial growth leaders by Inc magazine, which today released its 2002 Inc 500 ranking of the nation's fastest-growing private companies. The ranking will appear in the magazine's special Inc 500 issue, which hits newsstands on October 15.

Global Domains International achieved 3479% growth in the past five years, ranking #37 on the list of 500 fastest growing companies in the United States, #5 in California, and #2 in San Diego with sales growing from $261,000 in 1997 to $9,341,000 in 2001.

Yes .com domains are a advantage if you are doing alot of offline advertising since when most people think of a website address the instantly think of .com at the end of a url.

But if you are mainly advertising on the internet any domain extension will be ok since people will click on the link to your website rather than type it.

For those who still have concerns about the validity or integrity of Global Domains International, they have just launched their official forum.

The forum is not locked and, at the moment, they are allowing members to post their comments (good or bad) warts and all.

You can find the forum at http://www.talk.ws

Cheers,

Graham

Yes I have & I'm glad that I did. Not only am I a member of GDI, I joined their Affiliate company GDIU (Internet Success Club). You have to be a member of GDI to belong to GDIU. These companies have given me the financial freedom that I would never have had. I not only get to meet great people from all over the World, but have made some great friends.
Most memberships WebSites don't want to give you Information up front, because they know if you see what you are signing up front for, you wouldn't complete the signing up process. Not with the "Internet Success Club" (GDIU)

<snip>

My Best Wishes, & To Your Success,
sweetgrame

I have recently been harassed with repeated spam from Global Domains International too... The alleged CEO, Michael Reed and President, Alan Ezeir might well be running a pyramid scheme, or indeed be behind a number of internet based crimes or scams, however I only have proof of Global Domains International spam, and the fact is that spamming people is now illegal and can carry a hefty custodial sentence!

My advice is, as with all spam that originates in the USA, report it to State Attorney General and they WILL take it seriously. Fortunately, they have enormous powers and can see through the supposedly untouchable idiots that run these cons. One recently got 9 years in prison, and quite deservedly too!

You might also join a group like SpamCop at www.spamcop.net, which can reduce your spam and help the authorities implicate, track and punish those whom profit from irresponsible organisations like Global Domains International.

Hi Macmagician,

GDI does not send out spam to anyone.

There is a facility for affiliates to send emails to people they know, which then puts them in an auto-responder sequence.

Affiliates are not allowed to use this facility to contact people they don't personally know.

This is most likely what has happened to you. If you would like to forward the email with full headers to me via my profile, I will let you know if it is GDI spam or a member abusing the "invite" system.

Graham

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.