Numerous professional sports teams and leagues as well as many college teams have now banned their players from tweeting while the game is going on.

As athletes tweeting during games can sometimes give fans certain inisghts about the game they would not normally get from telecasts and newspaper reports, are these teams and leagues doing damage to their fan base?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It may damage fan base but I can see why the leagues are doing so. Such tweeting behavior by the players can lead to illegal sports betting. Such accusations can further hurt a league, both publicly and financially.

It may damage fan base but I can see why the leagues are doing so. Such tweeting behavior by the players can lead to illegal sports betting. Such accusations can further hurt a league, both publicly and financially.

I have to think there is a happy medium to be reached. Perhaps putting a moderator between the players tweeting and the fans so that sensitive info is not shared. The players could be told to use team sanctioned accounts rather than their personal ones. The fans would be happy and everyone would benefit.

As Im reading this, what comes into my mind is that, should the player be more concentrated in playing the game in the first place? Just a thought...

As Im reading this, what comes into my mind is that, should the player be more concentrated in playing the game in the first place? Just a thought...

You would think but then that is logic and I think that the twittering egomaniacs wouldn't know logic was even if you tweeted them the definition.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.