Before I start, sorry if this is in the wrong place and also I am aware that this is not a legal forum and thus I should take proper legal advice but any heads up would be appreciated.

Ok,

So I am looking to create and host my own website and also host a friends website on my server, both of which would allow third parties to submit content in the form of forum posts and comments.
I have been doing some research into this and now I've become terrified of all the laws and potential consequences that I didn't anticipate when I started.

From what I understand, the main thing I want to be concerned about is the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) which concerns any copyrighted material which a user posts, and equally is going to be the most likely problem when the sites go live.
As the website owner and the host of the second site, I am obviously putting myself at risk with being sued which as you might expect... I don't particullarly want.

My Questions are as Follows (and again I shall state I am not expecting actual legal advice but just a few tips and ideas):

-Would I need a DMCA Agent
-Would a set of notices on both sites stating that offending content shall be removed and the offender's account suspended
-Would a Disclaimer cover all the basics

Thank you to anyone that can provide any answers to these questions, whether it be through personal experiences or whatever, it shall be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Before I start, sorry if this is in the wrong place and also I am aware that this is not a legal forum and thus I should take proper legal advice but any heads up would be appreciated.

This is the right section.

I have been doing some research into this and now I've become terrified of all the laws and potential consequences that I didn't anticipate when I started.

What are you doing?

As the website owner and the host of the second site, I am obviously putting myself at risk with being sued which as you might expect... I don't particullarly want.

What kind of website is this?

I mean are you letting people download stuff on your website illegally?

Is there some inappropriate material that you are doing?

@LastMitch, I don't know if this is the right thing to say but i don't think it would help the OP if someone responds to the question 8 months later. I maybe wrong.

@LastMitch, I don't know if this is the right thing to say but i don't think it would help the OP if someone responds to the question 8 months later. I maybe wrong.

I'm not sure what you are implying.

I mean if he solve this issue he can ignore this thread.

I mean I do see him in Web Development section. It's not like that he doesn't come on Daniweb.

@LastMitch, I didn't mean to point it out that way... Like I said before I could be wrong... you win 99.9% of all the debates against me to begin with ;).

@LastMitch, I didn't mean to point it out that way... Like I said before I could be wrong... you win 99.9% of all the debates against me to begin with ;).

You're not wrong I think he's a student kinda like you maybe like a College student.

I think a phorce, veedeoo, Squidge a few others can't think of them yet that are active in the PHP section are College students. That's why I remember them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.