I see some good apps, seems like their all developed with the smartphone in mind. What about those of us who prefer a laptop, or desktop??? Why don't they make the apps compatable so you can choose what you want to access their apps with??

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Can you tell more? Here we have Zoom, Discord and other apps that are on mobile and versions for laptop and desktop.

From an app development perspective, developers would typically use different tools and technologies based on the platform and form factor of the device it's intended to run on. For example, software created for Windows doesn't automatically work on macOS, software created for iPhones doesn't automatically work on Android, etc.

Software that makes sense being cross-platform has often been ported to different operating systems. However, if 95% of an app's userbase is designed to only use it on mobile, for example, it might not be worth it, business wise, for the company to invest resources to accomodate the other 5% of potential users.

It doesn't cost that much to make an app that's usable both on desktop and mobile.... And .... There are millions of people over 50 who would most likely prefer a desktop version then mobile....

There is also the issue of security.... To register for mobil apps, you have to give your phone number... and when you sign up for cell service, you have to give your name and address.... ALot of people are uncomfortable in giving that much info to strangers... How do they know their info isn't being sold to 3rd parties who inturn sell the info to these mills where you get all those robocals.

It doesn't cost that much to make an app that's usable both on desktop and mobile.

Why do you say that? Take me, for example. I'm in the opposite situation: I do web development, but I don't know the first thing about mobile development. I wouldn't even know where to begin when creating a mobile app, other than knowing that you use Objective C for iPhone development and I'm not sure what for Android.

There is also the issue of security.... To register for mobil apps, you have to give your phone number

That isn't a prerequisite of mobile apps. It depends on the mobile app to ask for that information. The same way a desktop app could ask for any information it wants, as well.

It doesn't cost that much to make an app that's usable both on desktop and mobile.

I want to add that I've worked with Android apps for a while. We use Google's own Android Studio. But the app alone isn't what cost we have to consider. Depending on the app you need servers, services and you can choose cloud or not for the backend. Almost all apps I know of require some server to host data or services. I usually find the would be developer to be shocked what such can cost both in monthly fees and the development.

As to the OP, I had hoped they would come back with more questions.

commented: I don't know how much cloud storage costs, but its it every develops objective to create an app used by as many as possible? +0

As to the OP, I had hoped they would come back with more questions.

They did come back though.

I guess we should get into the smartphone discussion big time then. With either Apple or Google you are giving up a lot of information. If you want to use desktop apps, why not do that. But it's not as if you are not leaking data there.

Back to robocalls. I have yet to read that smartphones are why we get robocalls. My view on why is simply it's TOO CHEAP for robocallers to call you. It's a shame that phonecalls can't cost ONE PENNY. Just that penny would decimate the robocall business models without costing us much more to our bills. I'd pay that with pleasure.

As to apps, can you be more specific?

I don't know how much cloud storage costs, but its it every develops objective to create an app used by as many as possible?

To that question my answer is no. For my example I'll use apps that I developed for a few corporations. These apps were specific to the company and we had no interest in expanding use to as many as possible.

Back to what might be your real question. Can you share what app that you wanted on the Windows PC that was only on a smartphone? Most of these are mobile banking and games so these would be best where they are (mobile.)

Again, let's hear something more specific.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.