Hello everyone,

Currently my website is not getting much traffic, or registrations on the community.

Its been around for about a year and half, has 283 members (none of which post hardly), probably around 200 threads, and 800 posts.

I now have a new idea for a website, related to a topic which I have more interest in.

Should I scrap my current website and start again, concentrating all my efforts on that one website?

Or

Should I start the new website and keep the old website just incase it starts going places?

You see the trouble is, with the website being active for 1 and a half years, I feel like all the efforts that have gone into it have just gone to waste? But on the other side I feel as though my current website is a burden which im clinging onto "just incase", do you get what I mean?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Well if you scrap it that gives you a guarantee it won't go anywhere. I say keep it up and then really look into marketing it. If you have something people like they will come but you got to show them the site first.

If you just had a website that you felt was going nowhere, I would definitely say to hang in there, don't give up, and good things come to people who wait. However ... if you do have another idea for a site, and you have totally lost interest in your community (which means that even if it DID take off, you wouldn't be interested enough in the community / topic to put your all into it) you might want to consider selling it and using the revenue generated to help get your new site off of the ground.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

I believe I will keep the site, and run it in parallel to the new site.

You see the thing is, I like DJing and Web Development.

Because I like DJing I decided to set up a Techno music based website, but I do not go to any Techno music events / raves. So I cannot provide any content for the site.

Whereas my new site would be based around programming, which I do have some knowledge in.

You see on the Techno music based website, I am really just waiting for it to take off.

On the programming website, whilst I am waiting for it to take off I could at least be writing content for the website, thus improving it.

Seriously it really is not right, 1 and a half years and only 280 members none of which chat. I think this is due to when the people do sign up they only have me to chat to and quickly lose interest. By the time the next user comes along that first user has long on, and again the second user only has me to chat to and also quickly loses interest.

Seriously my users (ravers) are just not interested, I provided them with the tools to create content for the site in many ways. One example would be the photo gallery where they could upload photos of the Techno events they have been to, but did anyone bother? nope. But I know for a fact that many ravers take photos of the events they have been to.

I have even started creating a Web Service, which other websites could plug into, but even other webmasters do not seem interested.

Its so annoying and frustrating.

Basically I have picked the wrong website, I thought it was the right site for me but I was wrong.

Anyways like I say I think I will keep it "just incase" then if my new website does take off within a year or so, and the Techno music site has still not taken off I will scrap it.

Selling it is an option, but I do not think anyone would buy it.

Maybe you could recruit friends who go to raves to be moderators?

Maybe you could recruit friends who go to raves to be moderators?

Yeah I thought that, most of them do not bother going on the net though.

I think it would be worth just keeping it on the internet for the little money that it costs. And tbh there are already alot of programmer sites and although the same is true for techno music you do atleast have members on that site who would prbably be disapointed to see it go. You should keep posting on the site a couple of times a week when you get a free couple of minutes.

One more thing, something that may draw more people to you techno site is a bit more of a techno style design, because although your design is nice and clean it doesn't scream THIS IS THE TECHNO MUSIC SITE YOU SHOULD BE AT 24/7.

however for a forum its one of the best designed I've seen, I look on your forum and someone said 'they found it hard to navigate', dont know were they're coming from, really easy to get to the content.

If your forum software supports it, have you done a mass mailing out to the users? When I started seeing no activity on a site I was helping out on before I started mine, We would change something on the site and then mail out that there were changes and such. Some people came back to the site and started being active again.

I also meant to comment on the scrapping portion. I agree with another member that if you are not interested in the site, it is going to make it harder to grow and of coarse it is not going to grow on it's own. if you are interested in the site I don't see why you could not run both sites ad just divide your time.

I also meant to comment on the scrapping portion. I agree with another member that if you are not interested in the site, it is going to make it harder to grow and of coarse it is not going to grow on it's own. if you are interested in the site I don't see why you could not run both sites ad just divide your time.

Hello RickDev,

I have created a mail out script, I sent it to all the people like you said. One or two may have come back for a short period but that was it. It seems like I have wasted all my chances with the mail out.

Also I am interested in the site, but its not going anywhere at all. It just feels like I am wasting my time with it. Like you say I could split my time 50 / 50 which is probably what I will end up doing.

What I would really like to know is how do you get thousands of registered users to join your website? I know this seems a big question but there are tons of websites that have done it? What does it take, and do not tell me dedication. Will after time people join my website? Or are all the big websites around today only big because they where around at the right time, or just backed by money to begin with etc?

however for a forum its one of the best designed I've seen, I look on your forum and someone said 'they found it hard to navigate', dont know were they're coming from, really easy to get to the content.

Thanks, I cannot see where the other person was coming from either. He managed to sign himself up for a useraccount, and post a topic / message on the forum so I cannot how it could possibly be that difficult.

I just did not get where he was coming from at all, the forum is no way hard to use. If people can use vBulletin or phpBB then they most certainly should be able to use my forum.

Will after time people join my website? Or are all the big websites around today only big because they where around at the right time, or just backed by money to begin with etc?

If you can get your site known, by posting in other sites with your link in your signature or get those members that may be active to help bring members, that is one way. Also, just having a 1000 people registered is no good if they are not active. I have maybe 118 users and I would say on average I have about 8 active users. So I am not a rocking forum, but the active members have fun and stick around.

Some sites have tons of users because they fill a niche. Try getting a small decal for your car or stickers to hand out that has your web address for the techno site. Have friends pass them out. I mean it might take a ton of work to get a few more members but as they come and like your site they will talk and pass it down.

I don't think it is the case of dedication, I think it is just getting the right members to sign on and give them a reason to come back.

the design of your site is so clean, the problem is everything is too big. i set my internet explorer to 75% and everything just looked so much better.

I really like the design of your website, but I dont think it suits a rave site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.