What are some tips to increase AdSense CTR? So far, I'm trying to integrate the ads into the content, and I know that the box ads perform the best. What else can I do?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Dani.

One way is to post them on text rich pages...make sure that adsense had a bunch of keywords to work with. Especially on static pages that don't change.

Another way is to place them above the fold...that is, where people don't have to scroll down with their browser...and make them as visible as possible.

Make sure the color scheme is similar to that of your page...visitors hate banners that are loud and obnoxious.

Try to keep the Adsense ads on the pages where no other ads are...this will allow the google ads to not share 'ad time' with other perhaps more flashy ads and increase your adsense productivity.

I've also heard of people getting good results from using Adsense tracker http://www.related-pages.com/ ...but I haven't tried it myself (I operate a blog and don't have a need for huge revenue)

One of the most frequent increases I've read about is blending. Blending your Adsense advertisements into your page...aka removing the border. You'd think this is something trivial but many people report increases of 30-40% CTR.

Something that I absolutely think would help you is to get the Google Adsense tool. https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/topic.py?topic=160 This will allow you to right click on pages in your website and find out what google ads might be placed there.

I hope some of this stuff helps! :P

Blend and integrate. Period.

The more the AdSense looks like part of your site, the higher CTR you will get.

A very effective method I've used in a few web sites is making a link directory and placing a large 336 x 280 rectangle without borders and with the same background of your page on top of the links included on every category.

Of course it wouldn't work with the current structure of your new links directory. But maybe you can try the 468 x 60 banner instead, placed inside one of the links' divs on top of all the rest.

Hope the advice helps.

I personally would remove the "Sponsored Links" above the Adsense. For one, I don't think it agrees with AdSense's TOS. In addition, it will make the links blend in more.

I personally would remove the "Sponsored Links" above the Adsense. For one, I don't think it agrees with AdSense's TOS. In addition, it will make the links blend in more.

Just for the record -

Labeling Ads

Publishers may not label the ads with text other than "sponsored links" or "advertisements." This includes any text directly above our ads that could be confused with, or attempt to be associated with Google ads.

:) https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

What I have pointed out above is that Google DOES allow you to lable your ads with "sponsored links" or "advertisements." but not any other words other than this.

Infact they want you to clarify that those are ads and not standard links as most site have them blended. This is the reason why you see Ads by Google below / above their ads (and there is no way to change the color of that section so as to hide it ;) )

But for some reason, its a very common practice. Google must not care?

Believe me... Google cares... and they'll close your account if they find out you are modifying their code or hiding the texts that identifies the ads as ads.

Don't mess around with Google TOS, because you'll have your accounts closed and chances are you won't have them re-opened again.

Besides, it's not necessary to do that. I can not speak about specific CTRs (against TOS too) but I can tell you that just by making a change in the location and color of the ads, I increased CTR by 5 on one of my sites.

Just be creative and think on people behavior when you plan you page layout.

Maybe the Eye Track III Research can help you figure that out.

http://www.poynterextra.org/eyetrack2004/main.htm

commented: :) - Pulse +1

Believe me... Google cares... and they'll close your account if they find out you are modifying their code or hiding the texts that identifies the ads as ads.

Don't mess around with Google TOS, because you'll have your accounts closed and chances are you won't have them re-opened again.

Besides, it's not necessary to do that. I can not speak about specific CTRs (against TOS too) but I can tell you that just by making a change in the location and color of the ads, I increased CTR by 5 on one of my sites.

Just be creative and think on people behavior when you plan you page layout.

Maybe the Eye Track III Research can help you figure that out.

http://www.poynterextra.org/eyetrack2004/main.htm

The fact is that Google has not option but to be ultra strict in their policies. The reason is that Google is dependent on its advertisers for making money. And the advertisers will advertise with them if they make more money by advertising with them!

Thanks for the link to that pretty useful study! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.