I'm trying to make a link directory.
In short, It's going to have 9 categories and I want it to look like this:

_ _ _
_ _ _
_ _ _

At first, I made a 3x3 table. But when anyone submits a link, it breaks the whole thing. :shifty: You know?

If someone adds a link to the middle category... Enough of my n00bness already, I think you know what I'm saying.

Thank you. :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tgreer

Umm, i'm not really sure what your saying here. But I think the solution is to not use a 3x3 table. Try a 3x1 table instead.

i.e. COL1 COL2 COL3

I really don't understand either, but if you have a number of entry's not equal to a multiple of 3, you will have to calculate the left overs with the "mod" function if it is a dynamic webpage, and then add in an entry for the left over table datas <td>s.

Well if I understand what you are trying to do you need to create a table. Create one table to lock your format and inside create another table that has three rows.

No no no, let me find similiar link page and I'll get back to you.

Ok, here's a similiar page:
http://www.art-bridge.com/directory/abdir.htm

Do you mean a webpage in the following format:

----------------------
|....|...........|...|
|....|...........|...|
|....|...........|...|
|....|...........|...|
|....|...........|...|
|....|...........|...|
----------------------

Where the red is one section, the blue is another, and the green is a third?

You should use Tables inside of Tables.

<TABLE>
   <TR>
       <TD>
          Column 1 Here
       </TD>
       <TD>
          Column 2 Here
       </TD>
       <TD>
          Column 3 Here
       </TD>
   </TR>
</TABLE>

You can replace column 1, 2, and 3 with more tables to hold information.

Column 2 could equal =

<Table>
     <tr>
          <th>Table in the middle</th>
     </tr>
     <tr>
          <td>Some information of the table</td>
     </tr>
</Table>

So whats the issue when people add links?

But this page just uses lots of tables to structure everything... basically like this:

<table width="100%">
   <tr>
      <td width="150" bgcolor="black"><font color="white">left column</font></td>
      <td width="650" bgcolor="blue"><font color="white">center column</font></td>
      <td width="150" bgcolor="red"><font color="white">right column</font></td>
   </tr>
</table>

And you can fill the cells in the table to add more levels of formatting...

well, alpha_foobar, I wanted to put a horizontal row of affiliates down the left side.
But when I tested it and added some links, it pushed the tables in the middle down. :(

So it's like, the ultimate goal is to have three collums- where changes made in 1 column do not effect the other 2.

Ya know?

I can design a mock-up in photoshop of what I'm going for if you guys have the patience to show me how to implement it.

add this to the <td> tag for column 2,

<td valign=top>

That way when u add links to the left, the stuff in the middle stays top aligned.

add this to the <td> tag for column 2,

<td valign=top>

That way when u add links to the left, the stuff in the middle stays top aligned.

the thing is, all 9 categories are going to expand downward when users submit links... should I add that to all of them?

You can look at my site, shown in my signature, for an example of 3-column layout using CSS, instead of tables. The middle column expands or shrinks with the size of the browser.

No, I mean using CSS. Sure, I'm using DIVs to contain the content, but "using DIVs" doesn't give you columns. One has to use CSS to achieve that effect.

You can look at my site, shown in my signature, for an example of 3-column layout using CSS, instead of tables. The middle column expands or shrinks with the size of the browser.

That's essentialy what I'm trying to do.

Can I build off yours? I won't look anything like it in the end, I promise. :p

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.