This is probably very simple..
But
how do i set a page as my home page....

say i wanted www.todaysfishing.com/forums as my home page....

how do i do this?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

if you have internet explorer do this:
-on the menu select Tools
-then Internet Options...
-then you'll see a text box where you can enter the address you want

Did you mean in html code??

You just have to add www.todaysfishing.com/forums to your favourites so that you can access the site in two easy clicks :) .... easy na ;)

Option 1:

Create a page - index.html. Put it in your main webroot ex: www.todaysfishing.com/index.html. In that index.html put this in your header:

<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.todaysfishing.com/forums/" />
</head>

If you choose this option you could add some text in <h1> tags for seo purposes. Leave the text black and set the background black and the user just sees a flash of black and then the forum, but the search engine would see your seo optimized text.

Option 2: (the better option really, but more complicated possibly)

If you are on an Apache server you can use mod_rewrite. You could add something like this to your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine  on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^www\.todaysfishing\.com [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^$
RewriteRule ^(.*)         http://www.todaysfishing.com/forums$1 [L,R]

I'm not that great with mod_rewrite so the above may need some modification. There is a nice tutorial on mod_rewrite here

But

how do i do this?

Hi,

You must know that index.htm or html is the first thing seen on a website. So, rename the forum (put it in PLACE of the existing index) as the "index.html" and then everything links from there, put a "Home" or "Begin" link in the forum... Looks like you have to shuffle things around a bit but what you want to BE SEEN FIRST must be index.html. Other sub directories need their own index page too.

Actually, the way it is takes 'em there... just don't look good as your URL.

Leo-D

But

how do i do this?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ok, Leo-D back again.

Here is what U need.

A Re-direct code.

My site was in Google but it showed/opened the wrong page (5th pg!). So I added a 'a' to the end and used that, readjusting all my menu links (foo-a.html). To the original page (foo.html) I added the re-direct and had it go to index. So foo is only there to re-direct because of the bad listing.

Get it?

This is from htmlgoodies.com newsletter. I think... It has a QnA.

Here is the answer you need. There is a problem tho, it is so fast you can't view source to make any changes!!! The answer is ALWAYS KEEP A TEXT ONLY COPY!!!!!!! Then make changes, then save as foo.html or ?

This is it... have fun. Remember, save a TEXT COPY!!!

A. You could use setTimeout() to perform a function to redirect after so many milliseconds. Here is an example that will redirect to the specified link after 2000 milliseconds (2 seconds):
<script>
<!--
function Redirect(linkid)
{
top.location.href=linkid
}
if (screen.width<=640)
setTimeout('Redirect("index640.html")',2000);
if (screen.width<=800)
setTimeout('Redirect("index800.html")',2000);
if (screen.width<=1024)
setTimeout('Redirect("index1024.html")',2000)
top.location.href="index1280.html";
//-->
</script>

Any problems, goto htmlgoodies.com

Leo-D :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.