I am making a logo in illustrator its a mix of text and symbols. I used two arrows from the swatches got the basic layout for the logo. When I go to add effects it looks very bad because I cannot get the text and the symbols to group and join as one. I would like to do this in a way so that everything looks like its one big image. I have tried tracing it using the pen tool and going over everything an got another problem.The problem I am having is that when I apply the 3d filter and apply an illumination to the logo it becomes very grainy. I don't know what to do.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try this:
1. Convert text to paths - it's easier than tracing the font.
2. Group all of the items together - if you are just selecting them all and then using the 3D effect it will transform each element independently. If you have a group (under the menu item "Object" Choose "Group")
Once grouped it will transform all of the objects together as one item.

Attached is an example - showing how transforming while the elements are ungrouped will transform each individual element separately.

The other one shows how grouping the elements will change the way the effect takes place - it now transforms all of the elements together as one.

commented: Thanks for all of your help forgot to give you points :) +1

I did everything you said but when I add an effect I can see the lines dividing it. I put it with a 3d look and put it so that that everything looks like its part of one but no luck because you can see small line of each individual element in the group. When I apply effects it does it for each element and doesn't do it for the whole thing. Thanks for responding to the thread.

I don't really understand what you are tryin to explain then.

You will be able to see the lines of each one - and it depends on the fill or stroke you choose for the element.

Are you wanting to see a truly smooth transition? You could try creating the 3D effect in Illustrator and then smoothing it in Photoshop. I know Photoshop has a 3D filter - I just have not used it much so wouldn't be able to tell you more about it.

If you can't understand so you will visit the blog which can share daily new tips and guide for creating objects, text, effects,photo manipulation and more vector design work.
PSDTUTS, BYTUTORAIL, TUTORAIL BLOG, VANDELAY DESIGN and more...

I don't really understand what you are tryin to explain then.

You will be able to see the lines of each one - and it depends on the fill or stroke you choose for the element.

Are you wanting to see a truly smooth transition? You could try creating the 3D effect in Illustrator and then smoothing it in Photoshop. I know Photoshop has a 3D filter - I just have not used it much so wouldn't be able to tell you more about it.

Now that you have explained it i got everything and how to do it thank you very much for all your help. My 3d logo doesn't look very good so I switched to a web 2.0 type logo thanks for everything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.