Hi all. I've just started using Moodle about four days ago and was wondering if I can include an interactive lesson. Interactive here means that user will need to navigate through in order to progress on the lesson.

I understand there is software like eXeLearning that can be used to create and export the lesson as IMS Content Package, but I'm still considering other software that I'm more familiar with i.e. Macromedia Director MX.

My question: is .dir file IMS compliant, and can be used in Moodle or do I have to learn to use new software like eXe, Flash, etc.?

I hope my understanding on IMS Content Package is accurate - it's just a standard that needs to be met in order for Moodle to handle media.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Atikah

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You can create your elearning content in virtually whatever format you want, be it Flash, Director, Java applets or even plain old HTML and Javascript.

I haven't used director before, but I have used Flash to create elearning packages at a previous job. However, I think with director you may need to export your files as .swf's or some other projector file format. I suspect the .dir files are source files like .fla's in Flash..but I could be wrong!

Once you've got all of your course material together, you just need to use something like Reload Editor or eXe to package your courseware up into an IMS or SCORM package.
(I used to use Reload, never tried eXe!)

Also, if memory serves with SCORM and AICC, you may also need to use some javascript alongside your courseware to allow data to be passed back and forth between the VLE and the courseware (passing user name, test scores etc).. At least we did with the courseware at my previous job...I haven't worked in the elearning sector for a few years now and I'm more than a bit rusty, so please excuse me if I'm a bit vague on the details!

Anyway, I hope this is of some help to you!
Cheers for now,
Jas.

Firstly, thanks for the reply :)

I tried a few things with Director after posting here, and the SWF still didn't load. And yes, the .dir files are source files :) Anyway, I went ahead and taught myself Flash after that. Good thing the tutorial I uploaded on Moodle works fine now. It didn't need to be packaged using eXe or anything :)

Apparently the problem is not because of the file format, it's the software I used to develop the courses. There might be 'behind-the-scene' workarounds with plugins and whatnot, but I'm going to settle for now and not go too deep.

I managed to complete one short lesson with Flash but am just using PowerPoint for the second lesson. I found out about iSpring which converts PowerPoint presentations to Flash. It's free and except for little distortion on some shape elements after publishing, the software is pretty neat. Don't have to work with the layers and timeline now :D

Thanks again for the reply.

Atikah

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.