Greetings!

The other day I submitted my website to Google sitemaps (www.xml-sitemaps.com).

All went well and I received the following message:

google-site-verification:googlea344c468eb3ffa12.html

Now, I'm not sure that I did the correct thing with this code. I added it to the head of my web page like this:

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="googlea344c468eb3ffa12.html" />

I then uploaded my web page to my web server.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing this right?

I have since gone into Google Analytics and added my URL and copied and pasted the sitemap.xml code that was gernerated to my index and home pages.

I am still wondering if I did the right thing with the "google-site-verification"??

My URL is as follows: [snipped]

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If you went through the Google Webmaster Tools steps and then obtained this code:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="googlea344c468eb3ffa12.html" /> then I believe this should be ok

However, I've used the google meta code previously, never got a content="---.html", it was only a genereated code without the .html extension in it, but my site was in drupal, may be it differs for others

lordrt;

With a web site that I have previously submitted I, like you, never got a content="___.html" either.

But with my new site I have been given a .html extension to my google site verification.

Thanks

there are four methods of google verification

• a code to embed in the head of the index page
  • a filename to create in the root folder
  • a dns record
  • analytics tracking code

the op has received the second
create a file in the root folder with that name, it does not need to have any content

Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of questions.

What is a dns record?

What do you mean by "the op has received the second?

Thanks again.

"the op has received the second" method used by google to authenticate the domain
the op is required to create a file googlea344c468eb3ffa12.html in the root folder of the domain
not a meta tag;, the meta tag quoted in prior posts will not authenticate the site
the file can be empty, it just needs to be there, the easiest content for the file googlea344c468eb3ffa12.html its something lige "google verification file"

dunno what i did to make that red, cute

There are 2 ways to submit the sitemap to Google, one is to upload the .html file in the root of your websites, and then enter webmaster tools and verify, the other is to generate a verification tag in your index file and again, enter webmaster tools and verify. You combined the 2, used the html in the tag, which is totally useless.

Download the file Google provides, upload it via ftp, verify.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.