Hello,

I have a simple question that I can't find an answer to.
My question is: Does a URL include a URN? If yes, how can it include a URN?
For example, this web address:
www.example.com/folder/file.html
In this address, where is the URL, and where is the URN?
Is the URL the full path including "file.html"? Or is it just "www.example.com/folder"??

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

URL is location bound and defines the mechanism as to how to retrieve the resource over the web. A URN is just a name and isn’t bound to a network location.uniform resource identifier has 2 parts URL and URN.URN does not Specify location.The URL is complete location www.example.com/folder/file.html whereas in my opinion file.html is URN.

URL is location bound and defines the mechanism as to how to retrieve the resource over the web. A URN is just a name and isn’t bound to a network location.uniform resource identifier has 2 parts URL and URN.URN does not Specify location.The URL is complete location www.example.com/folder/file.html whereas in my opinion file.html is URN.

Yes, I agree with smith warnes.
URN is a uniform resource name and url is uniform resource location. Both are Uniform Resource Identifier but URN is used for identification whereas URL is used for locating resources. For example a person's name is a URN and his address will be a URL..
So, www.example.com/folder/file.html is a URL and file.html is URN..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.