hi, I'm new here and new to doing anything that has to do with designing anything for the internet. The teacher I am designing a site for has me using dreamweaver 8. The problem I have is that some of the links are not showing up in dreamweaver and a browser in the color I want them to be in. In some cases the color shows up in dreamweaver but not a browser. Can someone help me in getting the color to show up? (the color does show up when I highlight the link in dreamweaver even if it isnt that color. and sometimes the text color box won't let me pick the color i want)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I'm not familiar with dreamweaver... but open the code for the page in dreamweaver and look for the <body> tag. You can than change it for your links. You probably have the link color set, but the visited and active link colors are probably still default giving you undesired colors. Here is what you need to add/change in the <body> tag to set your colors.

link => changes the color of an un-visited link
alink => changes the color of a link that is currently being viewed
vlink => changes the color of a link that has been visited.

you can set them all to the same color if you never want the link color to change. To set the color simply put an = sign than the desired color in brackets. You can use the colors name or it's HEX code preceeded by a # (http://www.theodora.com/gif4/html_colors.gif)

For example:

<body link="#660000" alink="orange" vlink="FFFFFF">

I would use css for that.

a:link { color: blue }
a:visited { color: #0000FF }
a:hover { color: #0000FF }
a:focus { color: #0000FF }

Hi,

Yup I would definalty use CSS. If you get the time, check out the brilliant tutorials over at Adobe for CSS. I believe Adrian Senior had a good one that I learnt loads from. Once you get the basics of CSS you can change everything on a website. :)

thanks guys.

This is the way to do it. You may want to add more such as underlines this is done like so:

a:link { color: blue; text-decoration: underline;}
a:hover { color: blue; text-decoration: none;}
a:visited {color:black; text-decoration: none;}
a:focus {color:red; text-decoration: underline;}

This piece of CSS will make your hyperlink have no underline when the user hovers over it. It will also make the text color change to black when it has been visited and red when it is clicked on.

Hi,

Yup I would definalty use CSS. If you get the time, check out the brilliant tutorials over at Adobe for CSS. I believe Adrian Senior had a good one that I learnt loads from. Once you get the basics of CSS you can change everything on a website. :)

Try this:

a:link { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }
a:visited { color: black; text-decoration: none;}
a:hover { color: pink; text-decoration: none;}
a:focus { color: red; text-decoration: underline; }

Give the above a try and that shoudl teach you a bit more about hyperlink styling.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.