Hello All,

I am stuck with some problem.

I have implemented some CSS in my webpage, it works fine with IE but the saddest part is that it is not supported by Firefox.

Any ideas how to make it work with Firefox and other browsers (which currently does not support CSS)

Thanx in advance

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Of course Firefox supports CSS. If none of your CSS is working, you might have some weird setting configured in your FireFox. Unfortunately, however, while both IE and FireFox support CSS, their standards are a bit different, and sometimes you have to jump through hoops with your code to get it to display exactly the way you want on both.

...and in fact, the FireFox implementation is much stricter about adhering to standards. So, if it isn't working in FireFox, but is in IE, you either have a custom unsupported IE CSS thing (like a filter, not part of the CSS standard), or in fact your CSS is broken and IE is in a roundabout way giving you want you want, anyway.

Which DOCTYPE are you using? That's the first step in resolving browser inconsistencies: use a proper doctype.

Thanx for the reply

I am having the same problem. My CSS website is working fine in IE but not in FF. The weirdst part is some of the pages display great everything working, but other pages look horrible. Even if I copy the exact code for one of the "working" pages it does not work on the "Non-Working" page.

AHHHH Help!

ALWAYS...

design for FF FIRST, then for IE. You will have far fewer headaches.

The primary differences you will run into between the two will relate to spacing: especially padding and margins. If an item appears to be missing from your page in FF, it is probably shoved off so far to one side you can't see it.

I learned this one the hard way, but I found a way to fix it that was easier than what most had warned me about.

Go to your CSS file and have a version of you page up in IE and FF. In the more complex CSS items, take away the lines which deal with position or spacing. You can do it one line at a time if you want. Upload your new CSS and refresh both browsers.

Keep chipping away until you get them both looking about the same, even if it is not what you want it to look like in the final version.

Make small changes and upload/refresh to see how both have changed. Basically, if it is right in FF, it will be right in IE - at least for the most part.

Thanks so much it is starting to work the only problem is my bullets will not go in the tables but if thats the only problem I am ok with it. This is such a headache they should all work the SAME!!!!

:)

Say thank you to uncle Bill that signs his bills as Gates
As vicshoup said, design for firefox as they follows w3c standards and then optimize for IE

I have never heard of something working in IE but not firefox. For me its always the other way around. LOLZ

I had a BS problem in my CSS in FF.

I had td tag defined before tr in my CSS document and it wasnt working.

I switched them around so the tr tag is defined before the td and it worked.

This is all BS as with my bigger CSS documents I like my elements alpha order and this will just be all over the place!!!

Anyone have any solution? Thanks

Regards, X

PS: Not a fan of firefox if anyone can give any tips on how to construct webpages IE/FF compliant ill be greatful

I've occasionally have had issues in FF that I haven't in IE, but as a general recommendation, look for articles and tutorials on how to work around your incompatibilities. I have come across a few books that specialize in helping new web designers with that.

The biggest problems between FF and IE are:

1. IE has nonstandard extensions that don't work on other browsers. Avoid them.

2. IE displays surrounding styles in a nonstandard way. The standard says that surrounding styles (margin, border, padding) should display OUTSIDE any size style (height, width) in the same tag. IE puts the surrounding styles INSIDE the sizes instead. This causes problems in how objects fit on the page.

The trick to this is to never put surrounding styles and size styles in the same tag or style. If you need both, nest tags containing them in the desired order.

3. IE and FF have different defaults for many styles, especially in tables (e.g. vertical-align). To get the pages to display alike, define the styles that appear different.

4. IE displays fonts one pixel wider than FF does.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.