i have this on my site but its working in IE but not mozilla,any hacks you know to solve this:

html, body{
scrollbar-face-color:#FF9900;
scrollbar-base-color:#FF9900;
scrollbar-arrow-color:#000;
scrollbar-track-color:#ffffff;
scrollbar-shadow-color:#FF9900;
scrollbar-highlight-color:#EBF5FF;
scrollbar-darkshadow-Color:#fff;
}

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

it wont work in Firefox/Mozilla. The development team consider that such properties aren't part of any official CSS standard; which is true, because they aren't.

Scrollbar colors are an Internet Explorer extension; some other browsers have adopted it to follow suit, but I doubt Mozilla/Firefox ever will, unless it becomes part of an official CSS spec.

It's annoying; I know, grey scrollbars only look correct within certain color schemes. On the up-side; Firefox's UI and rendering is so utterly hideous anyway, that I sincerly doubt any full-time FF users will notice.

I like to think of the scrollbar as being nothing to do with the main page (being a ff user). Also i think it tends to make the website worse if you change the scroll bar.

ff isn't that bad looking anyway.

These settings actually belong to Windows Control Panel.

IE provided a nonstandard way for you to change its appearance on a web page, but the scroll bar is not part of the web page, but the browser.

Thank all.It can only be implemented in IE ,i never knew that.

That's because IE is part of Windows (cheat! cheat!). Other software doesn't have access to internal Windows parameters.

I think websites look more professional if they just leave the scroll bar alone because if you don't mess with it nobody will notice it.

roryt>> I like to think of the scrollbar as being nothing to do with the main page (being a ff user). Also i think it tends to make the website worse if you change the scroll bar.

That depends where the scrollbar is to be honest. Sometimes; you might have a scrollbar on an iframe/frame/overflow:auto; element, and that's a dirty grey scrollbar very much 'inside' the page.

roryt>>I think websites look more professional if they just leave the scroll bar alone because if you don't mess with it nobody will notice it.

Fair enough; when the only intent is to change the right-hand scrollbar on the window; because that almost always loks silly in a different color. As mentioned, scrollbars can popup inside the page; and those certainly should be styleable, I promise they look silly and out-of-place in the middle of very colorful themes.

MidiMagic>> These settings actually belong to Windows Control Panel.
MidiMagic>> That's because IE is part of Windows (cheat! cheat!). Other software doesn't have access to internal Windows parameters.

That's not the reason. Colors can be changed by any application that uses old-school windows controls, and there's nothing to stop developers from making their own scrollbars if the existing ones aren't sufficient. if anything, the control panel settings are there to help application developers pick the colors that that a user wants to see rather than inflict all applications with them. Mozilla don't change scrollbar colours at the user's whim because they choose not to; that's the only reason.

roryt>>ff isn't that bad looking anyway.

I'll leave that down to a matter of taste. It doesn't look right to me on Linux, the fonts are always weird looking, line-height is permanently screwed up, there's no zoom in/out, only "increase/decrease text size"... It was marginally better looking on Windows admitadly; but Opera looks sexy wherever it goes ( even on the Nintendo Wii!! ). Perhaps that's more down to a bad Linux configuration that Opera gets around by using its own rendering techniques; either way, I wouldn't bother trying to fix anything for Firefox, because Firefox is also numbingly slow to open compared to IE or Opera on Windows and Linux, it stops you doing anything when more than 5 things are downloading simultaneuosly, and ( on my Linux ) it seems to bring down the whole operating system when it crashes.

That depends where the scrollbar is to be honest.

That didn't cross my mind but very true. Although they tend to look bad anyway ;)

It doesn't look right to me on Linux, the fonts are always weird looking, line-height is permanently screwed up, there's no zoom in/out, only "increase/decrease text size"

The zoom thing is pretty ennoying. Could you take a screenshot of firefox on linux?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.