Hey there everybody... haven't been here in a while but I am in need of some help for my girlfriend. Her computer is giving her problems, let me go through the steps.

Step 1, she starts up the PC, it asks the "Start the Computer Normally, Start in Safe Mode..." blah blah, you know what screen I am talking about. Whichever option she chooses, it'll take her to the screen as if it'll load up.

Step 2: She gets a blue screen with white text that says something about "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" --- I am not sure, I've run out of idea's... hell, even my computer tech teacher is stumped.

Step 3: I need ya'll professionals to help me out with what the problem could be. If anybody could help, I'd kindly PayPal you $20 for your help, its for my girlfriend and it sucks to see her bored because her PC doesnt work... anybody willing to help? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Hi Teck, I've encountered this problem you faced before and it is surprisingly easy to fix (unless you have a hard disk that is already failing). You will need your Windows XP CD to do this.

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD. You might need to change the settings at the laptop's BIOS. Most modern BIOS nowadays support a "boot menu", where you can specify which device to boot from without changing the CMOS settings. It is usually tied to the F9 or F10 keypress before the machine boots.
2. I do not know if you have done a fresh Windows XP installation before, but if you haven't, what happens now is that the Windows XP installer will load the various drivers and system files in order for the installer to fully run. Initially it will ask you to press F6 if you need to install 3rd party hard disk drivers and F2 to run automated recovery. Ignore those and wait till you reach this screen:
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/4.jpg[/IMG]
3. Notice the second option: "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R." Do what it says; press R.
4. You will be asked to press Enter if you want to use a custom keyboard layout. Either wait for the 5 seconds to expire, or press Esc to get this following screen:
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/6.jpg[/IMG]
5. Normally you should only see one installation as in the screenshot, which is usually at C:\WINDOWS . Press 1 as in the screenshot to select that installation.
6. There is an Administrator account built-in in Windows XP and is usually transparent to the end user unless he/she activates it and uses it. By default there is no password for the Administrator; just press Enter. If you are unable to log in without a password, you should ask who has set the password before, or call your laptop service personnel.
7. Now, type the following command, fixboot , as in the screenshot. This will fix your corrupted boot sector on your hard disk.
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/8.jpg[/IMG]
8. Type exit and your laptop will reboot. Remove the installation disk and your system should boot as normal.
9. If your system still does not boot, you might want to try fixmbr instead of fixboot at item 7. If you have multiple operating systems installed in your hard disk, you will need to reconfigure them to appear as a choice in the boot menu again. You should only do this if fixboot really doesn't work.
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/7.jpg[/IMG]
10. If these steps still do not work for you, or if the problem returns time and again, you might have a failing hard disk, or you have a virus in your computer that is corrupting your boot sector. Either scenario would justify sending your laptop for service, especially if you'd like to avoid all the possible headaches and possible voiding of warranty associated with fixing it manually.

Hope this helps!

P.S. If you mean the $20, just PM me and I'll give you my e-mail.

Dang! i wish i saw this sooner!

Technically, it wont work, cause its a desktop, not a laptop... and she doesn't have her boot disk... SOOOOO, hopefully the Geek Squad from Best Buy can do something, her dad done called about it and she's set for her computer to be fixed this week.

Wait what are you talking about. I just did it on my destop 2 days ago! You dont need a boot disk either. Any windows xp disk of any version, copied or legit, retail or oem, will work. What the above poster said will work and dont take it to the geek squad and waste your money, just do what the above person said. They are 100% correct.

What nizzy1115 said is true, you could use any Windows XP CD to do this. But if you don't then I guess you will have to do with traditional servicemen. But really now, you don't have a Windows XP CD lying somewhere? ;)

As sad as it is, no, I don't have ANY Windows XP disks lying around, I would buy OEM, but its expensive in a way. Hell, do you think eBay could help me in this cause (of finding a cheap Windows XP disk?)

You could try that. Alternatively you could search for a torrent that gives you an ISO for the Windows XP CD. Then you can burn that out for your use. So long as you have a legal CD-Key, you own the right to have your own Windows XP CD.

'Eh, okay, so ummmm, where can I find me a copy of the Windows XP software... and how hard is it to add it to an CD? Just take the files and copy to the CD? Also, is there any "keys" thats I need to add to the CD to make the softwware run nicely.

I would love to help you here, but it seems that this thread is getting into the realm of illegal copyrighted infringment material.
However if one was wishing do such a thing, (which you deffinatly mussent, or anyone else for that matter) you would download a bit torrent client, such as azureus and install it (just google it), then you would go to a bittorrent website, such as torrentspy, or thepiratebay, and search for windows xp and download the file. Once the torrent loads into the bit torrent client (azureus) and finishes some time later, it will likely be in the format of an image file, (iso, img, etc.). You would then need a cd burning program that can burn cd images, such as nero 7, and you would burn the image to the disk. (Again research on google if you have more questions into this). After it is burned you have a completly real (or as real as it gets) windows xp cd (you already have the cd key but it is not needed for your application) to do what the directions state for repairing the master boot record.

oh, and by the way, what i meant by oem disk, was a disk that came with the computer like the dell restore disk or what not. I know the dell disk is really just a windows xp disk with a little bit added to it.

I used to pirate but it got boring so I'm going to most likely get an OEM version off of eBay most likely. Trust and believe, it also sounds like downloading a torrent takes too long (I am impateint, :tongue:)

When this PayPal goes through, I'll be sure to split the $20 between you nizzy and the person who gave instructions to fix it.

I know that this will go into the area of copyright infringement that's why I did not specifically state any methods to get the ISO. However, I believe that as long as you bought the software, even if it came pre-installed, and you own a legal CD-Key, you have the full right to the install CD. It's because the installation CD by itself is the same as anyone else's—the only difference is that it may be either a single or volume license version.

The unfortunate thing is that most manufacturers do not give a single-license CD out because first of all, they used RIS or some special version of the Windows CD to mass install the OS, and that usually their single-license keys are bought from Microsoft in bulk without the actual installer CD (with all the holographic stuff on top of the CD).

if you bought the pc with xp pre installed the product key on the tower or case will work to run reinstalls or repairs with almost any xp or installation disk. i'd just borrow or get a backup copy from a mate

hey i am getting this same msg and problem but when i get to the windows setup screen i push 'r' to repair and it starts examining then it restarts and i still have problem, why is it restarting what do i do? please email me at stuartkirk99@hotmail.com if you can help thx so much and its on my laptop and i got my windows xp cd

you could try going past the repair console option, continue as if you as if you were going to install, (do not reformat) it will check the existing windows installation, if it detects damage it will tell you so and ask if you want to attempt to repair your current installation (you press R for this one too). it will perform a repair/overwrite keeping your data intact. if it does not offer the repair option, do not go past this point. Cancel the install (F3). you will need your disk and key. read the options carefully they are pretty clear.

9. If your system still does not boot, you might want to try fixmbr instead of fixboot at item 7. If you have multiple operating systems installed in your hard disk, you will need to reconfigure them to appear as a choice in the boot menu again. You should only do this if fixboot really doesn't work.

I felt like I should add just one more thing.

When the fixboot did not fix the problem, I went back in to the console and issued the following commands

chkdsk /r

after it scanned and repaired the damaged sectors, i issued this command

chkdsk /p

this ran quick...

then I did the fixboot again

after that, it started up just fine for me.

i'm sure your right and all but it's different for windows xp pro it show a bar at the bottom ang gives u different options. they are press F2 ro run automated system recovery the rest is just like u said but there is no R as u said. also it says Window setup

Hey everyone don't listen to my first thread i looked at astronoxs thread were u do the three steps it worked perfectly so tyvm i would've have to pay to bring this to geek squad i'm coming here every time i have a problem bye.

Wait what are you talking about. I just did it on my destop 2 days ago! You dont need a boot disk either. Any windows xp disk of any version, copied or legit, retail or oem, will work. What the above poster said will work and dont take it to the geek squad and waste your money, just do what the above person said. They are 100% correct.

Not to start any confusion however not any disk will work. Most disks will work. If you own a Dell computer you need to use the disk that comes with your machine because of the specific drivers for the hardware in your machine. ie: sata harddrive. Otherwise your computer will not reconize anyhard drive which is a important step in fixing a Unmountable_Boot_Volume.

mine is doing domething similar... I get the whole safe mode, safe w/ prompt, etc screen. I try to start and the unmountable boot screen flashes very quickly then it restarts, welcome to my hell.
SO I tried getting a boot disk online but the only version I could find wanted me to make a floppy disc. Problem is, my laptop(which is still working) doesn't have a floppy drive. Does anyone know what I can do to get around this? I've read the above statements, I undrstand. I just want to try to get my desktop up and running... grrr

sryy i have nothing for u. im still tinking about it though

sryy i have nothing for u. im still tinking about it though

Hello there I have a similar problem. I have an IBM thinkpad laptop and one day I did an microsoft update and everything was working fine.
The next day when i switched on the laptop, I got the dreaded BLUE screen with UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT_VOLUME with error code ***Stop: 0X000000ED (0x82F64900,0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've read what was mentioned above with the other chappy, but I can find away if loading the XP disc cuase i do not get the option. I tried F12 where it gave me the option to load a disc, but nothing happens.

Please HELP or Advise.

Bhaj

What nizzy1115 said is true, you could use any Windows XP CD to do this. But if you don't then I guess you will have to do with traditional servicemen. But really now, you don't have a Windows XP CD lying somewhere? ;)

I have had the blue screen all day I have tried the Windows Xp Cd and it does not load I can't even use a single F key nothing. I would just throw it in the Trash. It's only 9 months old But my 16 year old son recently passed away so I really need to get the pictures and files from it then I could care less if it worked is this possible to retrive the info i need from it. Some person I called quated me 300.00 I think they are crazy

Dear cblanck,

I'm sorry to hear that your son passed away at such a tender age. My take is, your laptop might be faulty but the hard disk may still be fine. You may attempt to remove its hard disk and connect it to another computer or laptop. Then attempt to retrieve the files from there. Yes, this is somewhat a technical task but if you ask someone you know who is IT-trained or had built PCs before, he/she will be able to assist you more than I can over this forum. I wish you the best.

I have the same problem, I think. I had to videotape it with a digital camera, then go through it frame by frame with quick time, but the error message (blue screen) said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME claiming it had shut down to protect my computer from damage, and telling me to uninstall any new hardware or software. My computer is a partitioned Intel iMac with XP installed on one side and OSX on the other.

Member Avatar for Bizman

I just stumbled upon this same error message on a client's machine, did some googling and now I'm here. I found some Microsoft kb-site, which stated this isn't even a fault, just a random error... :-O

I just ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on the installation disk and it did the job. Then just for sure I'll run a hard disk diagnostic program, available free from most manufacturer's websites. I use the Ultimate Boot CD which contains all of them, available as ISO for burning a CD.

AFAIK torrenting a Windows installation media is not illegitimate as long as it doesn't contain any installation codes. Same goes for copying an installation cd. Actually MS even recommends making a copy of the original for frequent use, like multiple reinstalls or recovery console use.

And cblanck, sorry for your loss. This tip comes a bit late, but maybe someone can find help from this: As previously told, getting photos and other important files from a non-working computer can quite easily be done by installing the hard disk to a working machine. On desktops it's easiest, just connect the other disk with a SATA or IDE cable and plug in a power cord from the psu. A USB to SATA/IDE cable is even easier and works with all disks making them work as an external hard disk. Also there are montage kits for laptop size disks to be fitted into a desktop. All are quite inexpensive. And in any case correct jumpering is important for it to work.

If the hard disk in question is unreadable - because of password protected user profile or even faulty - using a bootable Live Linux CD like Ubuntu or Knoppix can help. They can bypass all Windows passwords by default and even contain a cd burner, although for burning you have to have two cd-players on the computer.

Hope this helps.

My computer did this also. Your info is very specific. thanks, however I was able to get to step 3 and when I hit R I get Windows XP professional setup at the top and at the bottom of the screen I get

Examining 238418 MB Disk ) and Id 0 on bus 0 on iastor...

then doesn't go any further. Locks up there. Any suggestions?

Hi Teck, I've encountered this problem you faced before and it is surprisingly easy to fix (unless you have a hard disk that is already failing). You will need your Windows XP CD to do this.

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD. You might need to change the settings at the laptop's BIOS. Most modern BIOS nowadays support a "boot menu", where you can specify which device to boot from without changing the CMOS settings. It is usually tied to the F9 or F10 keypress before the machine boots.
2. I do not know if you have done a fresh Windows XP installation before, but if you haven't, what happens now is that the Windows XP installer will load the various drivers and system files in order for the installer to fully run. Initially it will ask you to press F6 if you need to install 3rd party hard disk drivers and F2 to run automated recovery. Ignore those and wait till you reach this screen:
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/4.jpg[/IMG]
3. Notice the second option: "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R." Do what it says; press R.
4. You will be asked to press Enter if you want to use a custom keyboard layout. Either wait for the 5 seconds to expire, or press Esc to get this following screen:
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/6.jpg[/IMG]
5. Normally you should only see one installation as in the screenshot, which is usually at C:\WINDOWS . Press 1 as in the screenshot to select that installation.
6. There is an Administrator account built-in in Windows XP and is usually transparent to the end user unless he/she activates it and uses it. By default there is no password for the Administrator; just press Enter. If you are unable to log in without a password, you should ask who has set the password before, or call your laptop service personnel.
7. Now, type the following command, fixboot , as in the screenshot. This will fix your corrupted boot sector on your hard disk.
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/8.jpg[/IMG]
8. Type exit and your laptop will reboot. Remove the installation disk and your system should boot as normal.
[IMG]http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/recovery_console/7.jpg[/IMG]
10. If these steps still do not work for you, or if the problem returns time and again, you might have a failing hard disk, or you have a virus in your computer that is corrupting your boot sector. Either scenario would justify sending your laptop for service, especially if you'd like to avoid all the possible headaches and possible voiding of warranty associated with fixing it manually.

Hope this helps!

P.S. If you mean the $20, just PM me and I'll give you my e-mail.

I'm having the same problem and mine is a Dell desktop but I have another problem. My CD Rom doesnt work so I cant insert the CD. Anyone tried to copied the data from the CD to a thumbdrive and boot up from there? Will it work? Help.

Though this was ment for a laptop.. i tried it on my desktop and it WORKED!! I did an additional thing though... i didn't work when i tried fixboot, but then i tried fixmbr additionally i did a chkdsk before exiting.
IT WORKED!! :):) :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.