I'm using 2000 Pro and I'm trying to troubleshoot the floppy drive controller, and the drives troubleshooter is asking if I'm using a SCSI device, what the heck is it? :o

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi,
SCSI means "Small Computer System Interface" Several Hard Drives need special SCSI or RAID Drivers but you dont need to bother with Raid!!
Depending on your Hard Drive depends if you need certain SCSI Drivers. My best bet is to ask your computer manufactorer or go on you Hard Drives manufactorer website and have alook.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

PS: sorry about the spelling!

and by the way, theres not need to feel embarrased about not knowing what SCSI is, thats why your here, thats why Im here, thats why We Are All Here! to help each other.

Hope my info in the other thread helps!

Dave.

I'm using 2000 Pro and I'm trying to troubleshoot the floppy drive controller, and the drives troubleshooter is asking if I'm using a SCSI device, what the heck is it? :o

SCSI = small computer system interface, a parallel connection
its just a different connection type, not common for PC floppy drives

PCs usually use ata/atapi, a serial based connection
with smaller devices such as 3.5 floppy on an FDD connection

Ye, that what I was trying to put a cross, sorry i forgot to mention the connection differences (in a rush) but SCSI Hard Drives do need sepearate Drivers!!

Dave.

don't remember what FDD stands for tho
any ideas?

Feature Driven Development! FDD! dont no y though lol!

Member Avatar for nicentral

I thought FDD stood for Floppy Disk Drive

not sure about that because waaay back it used to be used for things other than floppy

Hey guys...thank you for your help. All of this is related to my computer hanging up in POST, an LED display on the mobo when it hangs up matches the MSI Diagnostic LED Function - initializing floppy drive controller. And this is why I'm trying to use the Microsoft troubleshooter. Can you guys suggest something more specific for solving this problem?

SCSI is well known, or should be to early and mid 1980s Apple computer users. It's had a long hardware life, I've just been asking about my HP DAT drive here as well... never used it...yet

Dang! A blast from the past. I solved most of my problems over the last two months by replacing my floppy disk drive, cd-rom, and my hard drive, not all at the same time...as they died. It's all good, heck...I'll have a new computer by the time I replace the mobo, cpu, ram, and the psu. :eek:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.