I am looking to convert my old VHS library (Home movies and taped off-air tv shows) to dvd. Is there anything available (software and/or hardware) that would make this painless and preferrably one-step? All I have read is that you import fromn VHS and encode to burn to DVD. While this may sould simple to some, I reckon I am simpler than most. Have been looking at the HP DC3000 burner which amy(?) perform this. Unable to find out if it will, as the HP site has not responded to my queries. Any suggestions? Thanks.....

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

You might be able to find some info on the doom9 web site.

Well, unfortionatly, this isn't a one step painless type of thing. You are going to need some type of capture hardware, like a TV Tuner Card, or a Firewire/USB2.0 Breakout box with AV connectors to get the video into the computer. After that, the DVD Burner should include software to master the video to DVD.

From the specs, it would appear that this unit has S-video and composite video ports. That is why I am asking comments, I have been unable to get a good line on this thing. Thanks for response.....

I am looking to convert my old VHS library (Home movies and taped off-air tv shows) to dvd. Is there anything available (software and/or hardware) that would make this painless and preferrably one-step? All I have read is that you import fromn VHS and encode to burn to DVD. While this may sould simple to some, I reckon I am simpler than most. Have been looking at the HP DC3000 burner which amy(?) perform this. Unable to find out if it will, as the HP site has not responded to my queries. Any suggestions? Thanks.....

Well I have capture device, and a DVD burner, I can all of this for a price.

I just finished convertHS to DVD. WHile I have the PC Power to do the job it was much simpler to buy a stand alone unit to do the job. I was able to pick up a Pioneer dvd recorder and hooded it to the S-Video output from my VCR and get great effortless copies. I found the Pioneer for $149... at a local discount store. I liked it so much I bought two of the next higher model with 100 hour hard drives and editing capabilities ($299). It saved wear and tear on my hard drive and pc burner and did a great job of saving my deteriorating tape collection. Note: They will not copy copyrighted materials.

To get any quality conversions you must use a analog to digital converter box of some sorts that converts to MPEG2, and a dvd burner. this will also solve your copyright problem because the tape plays in the video player connected to the converter box whch then plays on the computer screen and converts at the same time.
link here for more info
http://www.treasuredhomemovies.com

I know this is an old thread, but...

If you are neading to purchase hardware for this, I would suggest just a stand alone appliance. You can now buy a VCR/DVD-R combo unit that will copy your tapes to DVD.

Or if it's a small number of pre-recorded tapes just buy the DVD as that will be easier and quite possibly cheaper as well :)

Or if it's a small number of pre-recorded tapes just buy the DVD as that will be easier and quite possibly cheaper as well :)

Yup you wont have some quality proble,s on those DVD's, like osme old taped have...

I dont care much for the stand alone combo units.
I have 200+ tapes that need to be converted to dvd...
I have better luck with a stand alone recorder and multiple vhs players ($35 each for Panasonic 4 head stereo)
With these old tapes I generally clean the heads after each tape so I use two players and while one is dubbing I am cleaning the other.
Many are 20 year old home movies that cannot be purchased over the counter.
I had all of my fathers 8mm converted to tape and now it is time once again to move it to a more stable medium. Luckily I used the best tape available at the time and things are moving along nicely.

Definitely look into doom9

or visit VHS to DVD and transfer your home video tapes to dvd. You can get a pretty good conversion at a reasonable price from a lot of places. But what are most of these companies lacking? Care and attention to detail! Other ways you get totally amateurish product done with domestic equipment.
link: http://www.vhs-to-dvd.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.