Maybe someone has an idea on this one:

I own several Toshiba 2805 laptops - ranging from the S201 model (Celeron 650) to the faster S302 (PIII 750) models. They're working perfectly and I'm happy with them, and I wanted to install larger hard drives in them and give them to my kids. The problem is: none of these systems will detect a larger hard drive (for instance, when I tried to install the 20GB HDD from my S302 model - which is working perfectly - into the S201 model, the BIOS won't even recognize it; but if I install the good 6GB HDD from the S201 into the S302, it has no problem recognizing it and booted straight up.) I have a cache of 2.5" IDE hard drives and they're all perfectly good drives in other systems, but as long as these drives are larger than the existing drives in these Toshiba 2805s, they don't get recognized. So in effect, there is no possibility for .... enlargement :-)

The BIOS in these machine have all been updated to the latest avail versions. What am I doing wrong here?

Could there be something in the firmware of the DVD-ROM drives in these systems that's causing my problems?

Any Toshiba gurus here?

Bob

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Okay... my problem got resolved, and I found out why. Nasty nasty... if anyone's interested, just ask and I'll post further notes on this chapter. Otherwise, it'll be a secret between me, and me.:o

Bob

lol I'm all ears

Toshiba's BIOS and Toshiba's firmware on its hard drives (all 5 have Toshiba drives) are causing the problem here. None of these systems have any problems whatsoever seeing non-Toshiba hard drives (I tried IBM 18G, Fujitsu 20G and Hitachi 20G, all worked without fuss).

Just for giggles, I put these Toshiba drives into other systems and had no problems whatsoever with them. I mentioned Toshiba firmware on these drives since Toshiba's own systems (I've heard the same problems on Toshiba systems different than mine) are the only ones I know that are having trouble with Toshiba hard drives.

Anyway, just for giggles, I also started transplanting DVD drives (as well as DVD/CD-RW drives) between my CPQ and Toshiba laptops - providing that they use the same drive. They will not work at all. Now I know for a fact that Toshiba's DVD drives have their firmware version printed on the drives, but a lot of other DVD drive makers don't customize firmware for their OEM customers. I can already see a huge problem with drive replacements down the road - makes the hard drive problem look like a free pass to Disneyland...

I also found out that a hard drive w/XP does not wanna be stuck into a different computer - it farts and hangs (in safe mode, too). Anybody else tried it?

I also found out that a hard drive w/XP does not wanna be stuck into a different computer - it farts and hangs (in safe mode, too). Anybody else tried it?

Yep, you've changed the hardware by switching PCs (and changed the unique product ID code), and as a result Windows XP kicks the bucket. You can either try a Windows repair from the XP CD (here's a guide, or reinstalling Windows altogether and reactivating.

Actually, when I stuck the drives with XP back into their rightful systems, they're okay - took a while during their first load, but subsequent reboots were okay. You mean to tell me that if your system crapped out then your hard drive won't even boot? How terrible...

Member Avatar for Gu63re

Okay... my problem got resolved, and I found out why. Nasty nasty... if anyone's interested, just ask and I'll post further notes on this chapter. Otherwise, it'll be a secret between me, and me.:o

Bob

Bob,
I am new member. I am quite interested in how you solved the problem. I have the same problem with my Toshiba 2805-S201. I bought a Toshiba HDD MK4021GAS to upgrade - laptop does not recognized - I am using it now as a removable USB drive. Please share your solution so I could use it as to replace my 6GB internal drive.
Thanks a lot.

Bob

Hi I need a little help I have the same problem, Can you tell me how do you fix it? please. thanks

Hi,
I had the same problem recently. I had a Satellite 2800-100 laptop, 650 Mhz Celeron, 6 GB HDD, DVD/CD reader.
I just solved the problem of installing a hard disk which the BIOS refused to recognise.. read on!!

Over the years I've ugraded it, adding 128 MB memory so now it has 192 MB, adding an 80 GB Toshiba hard disk (worked no problem, lucky me), and then a NEC nd6750 DVD writer.
To get the DVD writer to work I had to short pins 45-47, hard wiring the drive to 'Master', this mod is described other places, the best is sparesweb.com where they have a 'how to' guide with pictures.

Then I bought a newer laptop, an HP ze5640ea with 30 GB HDD and DVD/CD reader. So I tried to switch out the drives.
The NEC DVD Burner slotted right into the HP no problem even though it was hard wired 'Master'.
The Toshiba 80 GB Hard drive slotted right into the HP with no mods or jumpering, worked right away.

Then I tried to install the 30 GB (Seagate) hard disk from the HP into the Satellite... no way would the BIOS recognise it was even there, it was like nothing was installed. I tried all the jumper settings on the 4 end pins following the Seagate drive manual. CSel was pins B-D (bottom two pins if looking at the connector with the 4 jumper pins on the far right). Master was no jumper, Slave was pins A-B (Two outermost pins to the right).
Nothing worked.
I went on the internet and searched for a solution and by accident I found myself in a Toshiba 2.5" ATA drive user manual. What caught my eye was that in their manual the 'Slave' jumper position was different. Instead of pins A-B as Seagate said, Toshiba said to jumper pins C-D (The innermost two pins).
I figured since the DVD drive had to be jumpered as 'Master' to work then the HDD had to be jumpered as 'Slave' if it shared the same bus.
I was so desperate I decided to try this jumper setting on the Seagate drive, even though it was from a Toshiba HDD manual, an IT WORKED!!!
So If you are trying to get a hard disk to work in the Toshiba, try shorting together pins C & D on the four pin jumper section. It worked for me...

Bob

I'm very interested to know how this problem can be resolved. I'm planning to install a new toshiba 120Gb HDD but i'm not sure whether or not it'll work. Would appreciate your inputs on this as well as how I may be able to upgrade my BIOS. Thanks. If you prefer to email me I can be reached at t5build@yahoo.com thanks in advance!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.