hi i am new to this field about 2 years and i am 14 years old,

i juz wanna noe cuz i will be upgrading to a newer GPU (Gigabyte Geforce 8600 GT) all i know its not tooo bad and it is at least good on playing crysis...rite? oh anyways juz wanna noe if my this mainboard has a PCI-E slot or else i am SOOOO DEAD lol

this is my mother board name:

DELL 0WG864

Chipset:

Intel G965 Express Chipset Family

Video Card:

GMA X3000 (i know its lame XD)

RAM:

1.5 GB DDR2 533

HDD:

149 GB free space

PC brand:

DELL

Processor:

Pentium D Dual Core 2.66 GHZ

anyways does my computer has AGP too? plzz tell me ASAP anyone help~~!!!

so wanna play world in conflict and call of duty 4 -_=

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Open up your case and look where your gfx (graphics) card plugs into your motherboard. On the side of the slot it will say "PCI-E x16" if it is a modern PCI-E slot. If you do have AGP, you still can buy high end graphics cards, but they will cost you slightly more than a PCI-E card.

hmm i am not good at opening casings although i know how to open it but i dun wanna mess up anything in it so mayb i will nid reinforcements to arrive in 4 more days >< but i saw intel site says its PCI-E X16 does it means it is compatible for geforce 8800 ultra cards?

Most likely if you are running PCI-E x16
What power supply do you currently run on? A better graphics card will require more power to run it.

hmm...how do i check that? and i think its PCI-e cuz its like a PEG type slot...what does it mean

The easiest way to check the power of you PSU (power supply unit), is to open up your case and look at the label on the side of your PSU. This will then tell you a value in Watts (W). Most common values range from around 230W upwards, depending on the age of your machine. Too run top of the range graphics cards a PSU of around 500W is best. Anything lower than 400W, and you Graphics card will struggle to work at optimum performance.

The easiest way to check the power of you PSU (power supply unit), is to open up your case and look at the label on the side of your PSU. This will then tell you a value in Watts (W). Most common values range from around 230W upwards, depending on the age of your machine. Too run top of the range graphics cards a PSU of around 500W is best. Anything lower than 400W, and you Graphics card will struggle to work at optimum performance.

i am not very sure but my pc is DELL Dimension E520 and its age is about 1 year in December 2006 and it was one of the latest computers at that time and some guy juz came yesterday he said my pc has pci express PEG type 1x or something

If it's only a year old, i would think it would have PCI-E x16. Mine is 3/4 years old as has PCI-E x16.
Taking off the case side panel is an easy thing to do and won't harm your computer. As long as you do it when your PC is turned off. If you would like instructions on how to check the PSU and the gfx card slot type I'll type them up for you. Did your friend look in the computer, to see the PCI-E PEG type 1x slot?

urgh...his a geek for pc but he knows what is PCI-e all i know that he told me (i was also there) said that there is a slot which is empty and he said its 100% slot for graphics then he closed it back, and when booting the pc he pressed F2 and it went to some blue screen...its written there this:

unless if there is a PCI- Express video card placed, it will override the the integrated video something like that all i know its stated something like PCI-express in the system F2 button...do u want me to write down the stuff written there and tell u briefly? or u can predict what is going on...by the way i got this program called siw.exe when i launch it it will see my system slot it says:

Property Value
Slot Tag System Slot 0
Slot Name PEG
Slot Type PCI Express
Data Bus Width 32x or x32
Current Usage Available
Shared No
PME Signal Yes
Support Hot Plug No
Vcc voltage supported 3.3V

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed
what do u think?

Does your monitor plug into a gfx card of any sorts, or is it just connected to the motherboard? If it is connected to the motherboard you are using on-board graphics, otherwise you are connected into some sort of graphics card. But the best way is to look to the slot itself.

oh great...i am so dead

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.