Hi folks,

The day before last my Compaq wouldn't boot up :( After much troubleshooting I believe I have found the problem; a dead graphics card.

I put the graphics card from my DELL into the Compaq and it did actually boot up (albeit with a terrible display resolution). So I'm fairly confident that all I need is a new graphics card.

If I do need to buy one, I want to buy a good one. I was thinking of the GeForce 8800GT 512MB or the Radeon HD3870 512MB. The thing is, I'm not sure if the power supply in the Compaq can handle these. The current power supply is a 300W one (300W MAX according to the sticker).

So, if I need to buy a PS, what kind of Watts should I be looking at? Bear in mind that at some point in the future I'd possibly like to have more than one graphics card in the Compaq.

Also, if a get a more powerful PS, will my motherboard be able to handle it? According to EVEREST Home Edition System Report my current mobo is as follows:

Motherboard Name: Unknown
Motherboard Chipset: ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product: Asterope2
Version: 1.0

Any and all advice is welcome and much appreciated :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

We'll need to know what else you're running in your box to say for sure, but I'm going to say you'll need at least 500W probably 750 or 1000 if you want have multiple GPUs and be safe

The other items are the usual; dvd&cd writer, network card, RAM. The only exception is it has 2 HDD's.

yea, you're definitely going to want 750-1000W

commented: For helping me out :-) +4

OK, thanks for replying.

I won't need a new mobo as well then no?

Also, am I right in thinking that a PCI-E 2.0 card will work in a normal PCI-E slot?

Here is a link to the specs for your mobo

As far as power goes you need to know that your system uses an ATX 24pin connection. -you shouldnt need a new mobo

Yes, you have a PCIe x16 connection and 2.0 is fully compatible with 1.x and vice versa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.