I'm so angry at my computer that I feel like making a really bad movie called "Return of the Boot Problems!" I've been having the same problem for...ohhh, around eight months!!! Here's what happens:

Issue A:

1. Hit the Power button.
2. Lights in the computer come on, fans spin.
3. Monitors (two) remain in standby, receive no signal.
4. Remains that way...forever.

It's strange because if I just keep repeating step one I can eventually come to a boot (after like 12 tries; not my idea of a good time).

But lately I've been getting something else too. Ever since I've tried to fix the issue by reformatting my Vista Home Premium machine to XP Home Edition (ehh, about two months ago), it's still been the same Issue A. I've been meaning to dual-boot both, but haven't found the time to install Vista... Here's Issue B:

Issue B:

1. Hit the Power button.
2. Lights in the computer on, fans spin.
3. Begins to boot Windows XP Home Edition.
4. Gets to the screen with the Windows flag and the loading bar.
5. Loading bar freezes...
6. Remains that way...forever.

Issue A and Issue B seem to just happen whenever they feel like it. Here are my specs (built myself):

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
GeForce 8600 GT
nForce 590 Motherboard
2 22" Widescreen Monitors
4 GB RAM

Seems like a nice setup to some; it is when it boots, but is not when it does not. Here's my diagnosis so far (remember, I've had this problem for eight months):

It is NOT:

Video Card: I used to have an XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX, but I became convinced that was the problem and bought the 8600 GT. I booted great for the past 2 weeks, until it returned yesterday and just doesn't feel like booting.

Sound Card: I have one on my shelf. It was in the original setup. Removed when I thought it was the problem. It worked for a week and a half and then returned.

CD Drive: I had a faulty internal one that I removed, can you guess? When I thought it was the problem. Returned a week later.

Monitor Cables: Same as above. Switched them out. Problem is still here.

I am just steaming over this and anyone who tries to help will be considered to me to be a God and worshiped upon request. Please!!! This means so much to me!!! Thank you soooo much!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

what type of power supply you have in the PC. seem like you are very low on wattage to run the system. this is the most obvious step you need to take , so tell us what is the power rating on your power supply.

what type of power supply you have in the PC. seem like you are very low on wattage to run the system. this is the most obvious step you need to take , so tell us what is the power rating on your power supply.

I have a 700W OCZ PSU, so I'm fairly certain it's not wattage ;)

Let me keep you updated with where I'm at on another forum. They suggested enabling Verbose mode, which I have not yet been able to try out because it refuses to boot....grrr...They have also suggested reseating RAM and processor.

Thanks.

How much free space do you have on your hdd?

How much free space do you have on your hdd?

Plenty, trust me ;)

228 GB.

Oddly enough, I booted first try today. After I get the essentials done I'm going to turn off and try again.

I have what sounds like the same problem. Any suggestions?
Asus P5n32-sli
2gb Corsain Ram
Pentium D-940
EVGA 7600GT
19in LCD

Boots randomly and takes many tries.
Please help
Did you get any luck?
Thanks

I have what sounds like the same problem. Any suggestions?
Asus P5n32-sli
2gb Corsain Ram
Pentium D-940
EVGA 7600GT
19in LCD

Boots randomly and takes many tries.
Please help
Did you get any luck?
Thanks

I'm glad you found my other thread, I'm keeping you updated there. Glad to see I'm not alone !!!

It's back, sometimes :/??????????

What happens if you unplug PC for a few minutes, plug it back in, and then boot?

Here's the explanation I wrote up for another site:

It's definitely less than before, but it's still...there blink.gif

Here's the whole new story biggrin.gif:

Yes it's the same boot problem (Issue A I believe), only now my computer has a dual-boot of XP and Vista. It will boot after being off for more than half an hour, but therefore encounters Issue A upon reboots and when I'm troubleshooting and repairing (because I have a problem with the Vista partition where it will go to a black screen instead of the logon screen after the loading screen...but that's another issue :/). Any help is SO greatly appreciated, thanks to everyone!

EDIT: And the Vista CD startup repair told me I had a problem (thank you), but said it didn't know how to fix it (driver issue?). I haven't tried the XP CD's fixmbr though.

Thanks for your interest :D

Have you tried another power supply? Very well could the cause.

Even though my fans and lights go on, that could still be the problem? Thanks.

And now my main problem is that it won't boot into the Vista partition. It loads the splash-screen (loading bar) of Vista and then goes to a black screen. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Just to make sure,have you tested the memory and hard drives?try using memtest for the ram and seagtes hdd tester! let us know what you find!

Got a fail on the SMART test but a pass on everything else <_< Thanks :D Any idea what that means?

SMART test failure means HDD is failing. I've never seen SMART return a "false positive" failure message.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.