I have a gateway computer with a 2.8 MHz P4 w/ HT that stopped working. When booting, it gets stuck on the 3.5" floppy drive & just loops back to that divice & won't continue booting. I've tried disconnecting all my cards & the floppy & still get no bootup. The light on the motherboard does come on so is it the processor?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

your pc has died and you must get a new motherboard-- (just kidding!!)

It seems like one of the boot devices is messed up. Try running the pc with only: case, mobo, video card, cpu with cooler, one stick of ram, one hard drive, keyboard, mouse and monitor, and see if you get lucky. post back your results.

your pc has died and you must get a new motherboard-- (just kidding!!)

It seems like one of the boot devices is messed up. Try running the pc with only: case, mobo, video card, cpu with cooler, one stick of ram, one hard drive, keyboard, mouse and monitor, and see if you get lucky. post back your results.

I have stripped the computer down & it still hang-up on the 3.5" drive on startup. When I disconnect the 3.5" dive, it still hanges up at the point it should be recognizing the 3.5" drive durring start-up. Also, there's a light on the motherboard that does come on when I try to start-up the computer so I guess the motherboard is doing something...

what is that number. what is the model of your mobo?

what is that number. what is the model of your mobo?

it says Intel 4000820 & the board's stamped with E210882. Not sure what number's correct...

Go in the bios and remove the option to to stop on any error. Most times it defaults to keyboard or floppy. set it to none. and disable searching for floppy.

I have stripped the computer down & it still hang-up on the 3.5" drive on startup. When I disconnect the 3.5" dive, it still hanges up at the point it should be recognizing the 3.5" drive durring start-up. Also, there's a light on the motherboard that does come on when I try to start-up the computer so I guess the motherboard is doing something...

what is that "light" on the motherboard you were talking about?

Go in the bios and remove the option to to stop on any error. Most times it defaults to keyboard or floppy. set it to none. and disable searching for floppy.

Thanks, but how do I get to the Bios if it not booting to the point of the bios? It's hanging before the monitor comes on...

what is that "light" on the motherboard you were talking about?

It's a grean light in the bottom right corner of the motherboard that comes on when I try to power the computer up...

a bad power supply could act like this .

I have a gateway computer with a 2.8 MHz P4 w/ HT that stopped working. When booting, it gets stuck on the 3.5" floppy drive & just loops back to that divice & won't continue booting. I've tried disconnecting all my cards & the floppy & still get no bootup. The light on the motherboard does come on so is it the processor?

base on what you stated in red above, how and where do you see this message in your bios is not coming up on the screen.

As for the green light on the mother board it's an indicator to let you know that tehre is power going to the board a kinda safe guard to let you know you are to disconnect power before starting to work on the board.

Now if you are not getting the bios to post you need to check a few thing,
1 CMOS battery
2 is the board grounded.
3 are you getting power from the power supply - Indications are: is the PSU fan coming on, does the CPU fan comes on when you power on the PC

base on what you stated in red above, how and where do you see this message in your bios is not coming up on the screen.

As for the green light on the mother board it's an indicator to let you know that tehre is power going to the board a kinda safe guard to let you know you are to disconnect power before starting to work on the board.

1 CMOS battery
2 is the board grounded.
3 are you getting power from the power supply - Indications are: is the PSU fan coming on, does the CPU fan comes on when you power on the PC

I agree, especially on the power supply thing. It is crucial to assess whether or not there is adequate power coming to the mother board to the motherboard. Maybe the psu is defective in a way, so check it carefully. Also, is the mobo set up right? Check these things and post back your results, wtroot.

The green LED on motherboard indicates that 5VDC standby power is applied - nothing more. It does not mean motherboard or power supply is operating properly.

Try another power supply as caperjack recommended. Also clear CMOS - should be a jumper on motherboard.

Motherboard is an Intel D865GVHZ OEM for Gateway.

Although Intel motherboards have not had as many capacitor issues as some others, they are not immune to capacitor failure. Inspect capacitors for signs of swelling or leakage. Tops should be flat.

my assumption here is that they are hearing the floppy boot seek noise .not a written message

a bad power supply could act like this .

Really, even if everything seems to power on? Also, I took the hard drive out & powered it on to see what would happen & I get the same issue (without a hard drive).

my assumption here is that they are hearing the floppy boot seek noise .not a written message

I took the hard drive out & powered it on to see what would happen & I get the same issue (without a hard drive).

The green LED on motherboard indicates that 5VDC standby power is applied - nothing more. It does not mean motherboard or power supply is operating properly.

Try another power supply as caperjack recommended. Also clear CMOS - should be a jumper on motherboard.

Motherboard is an Intel D865GVHZ OEM for Gateway.

Although Intel motherboards have not had as many capacitor issues as some others, they are not immune to capacitor failure. Inspect capacitors for signs of swelling or leakage. Tops should be flat.

Thanks! just to add what I've tested in my process of elimination... I took the hard drive out & powered it on to see what would happen & I get the same issue (without a hard drive).

yes a power supply can power up a computer,to make it seem like its working but have issues with the .5v plug and not boot to windows .i see it all the them ,actually have changes 3 [cheap ones $25.00 ]just in the past 3 weeks ,one was running for about a month and when i unplugged it and took it home it would not boot back up until i put a new psu in it ,and it did fail my psu tester .i was taking it home to upgrade the motherboard!!!

1 CMOS battery
2 is the board grounded.

The first thing I did was to replace the battery & had no change. both the pwer supply fan & the CPU fans are running, so I am getting power & the board is grounded... Any other thoughts? I'm thinking the motherboard or the processor or both are toast...

yes a power supply can power up a computer,to make it seem like its working but have issues with the .5v plug and not boot to windows .i see it all the them ,actually have changes 3 [cheap ones $25.00 ]just in the past 3 weeks ,one was running for about a month and when i unplugged it and took it home it would not boot back up until i put a new psu in it ,and it did fail my psu tester .i was taking it home to upgrade the motherboard!!!

Thanks, I'll pop in a new power supply & see if it does the trick.

Thanks, I'll pop in a new power supply & see if it does the trick.

its not always 100% ,take the old one out and take it to the computer shop see if they have tester to test it before buying

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.