Got a machine Presario 5002us that does nothing when you start it. No bios screen, no
monitor, no keyboard.
Power supply checked out okay
Cpu fan is running
I disconected everything but the videocard and cpu and memory. No boot
Switched out vidoecard
Switched out memory
I am thinking bad cpu or motherboard.
Do I dare to reset the bios to see what that does?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I have read many posts to this forum with similar issues. What I really need to know is whether it helps to reset the bios? Could it be a battery issue? Is it always a cpy/mobo issue?

it wont hurt to reset the cmos, and often resolves a problem, but maybe a sign that something else is iffy (i have one machine that needs this doing every time it starts, or it wont! never been able to sort it???). it's not always cpu/mobo. check in the case for a grounding wire that's come loose from the chassis, usually under the keyboard near or from the fan(s). if this comes loose it will also give these symptoms. i've seen this on a number of laptops including dell and compaq. a dab of solder to ground it back to the casing (metal plate under the keyboard) will sort it.

Thanks for responding. There doesn't seem to be a wire loose. (If I am looking in the right place) . This is a desktop.
At your assurance I did reset the cmos and replaced the battery. the machine still starts to POST but stops before the hardware ok beeps.

sos bout the ground wire getting, my laptop/desktops mixed up. less likely on a desktop. if it's not getting to the post(beep) it could be a corrupt bios. flashing the bios could sort it but be very sure to get exactly the right one cos if you get it wrong, bye-bye pc. it's usually a fairly straighforward proscess on a compaq but i would reccomend some help if you're unsure

Can you flash the bios when the system doesn't boot and there is no monitor?

probably not but i have done it successfully on machines that wont get to post, but not if the screen is down too. may be worth checking the thermal paste if it's very gone this can cause the chip to almost immediately hit thermal cut out, certainly well before post. but i think it's looking terminal for the motherboard. sorry not to be more help. goog luck with it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.