When I boot up my Gateway 450sx laptop it will run for approx 3 - 5 minutes then the monitor will, for lack of a better term, appear to scramble and eventually lock-up. When I reboot after this happens it will take 5 minutes of the fan running or hard drive spinning befor it will start loading the OS. I first thought it was the lcd monitor so I connected a crt monitor from another pc and the same thing happend to it. That should rule out the monitor. The video card is intigrated, so replacing that is out of the question. I just want to make sure that it is not a problem with the processor before I buy a different motherboard. With my luck if I buy one, it will be the other that is bad.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

try cleaning it with an air compressor or vaccume. If I had more time, I'd respond with more, but I g2g. Later

Shane

I blew it out with compressed air. Had it running for 15 minutes then the screen went haywire. It was like a black checkerboard over my background and a large square around the mouse pointer. I was able to shut it down before it locked up. When I restarted it, it didn't even get fully booted up before it happend again.

I have sort of gotten it working. When I rest my hands on the case to type it will go haywire again. I was on for 1 1/2 hours last night and it seemed to work fine. While typing today it messed up. I had to disconnect the built in mouse on the laptop and use a different mouse to get it to work.

Sounds like you may have a loose graphics cable.

The card is intigrated on the motherboard. There is no cable.

check your memory or cpu

When I boot up my Gateway 450sx laptop it will run for approx 3 - 5 minutes then the monitor will, for lack of a better term, appear to scramble and eventually lock-up. When I reboot after this happens it will take 5 minutes of the fan running or hard drive spinning befor it will start loading the OS. I first thought it was the lcd monitor so I connected a crt monitor from another pc and the same thing happend to it. That should rule out the monitor. The video card is intigrated, so replacing that is out of the question. I just want to make sure that it is not a problem with the processor before I buy a different motherboard. With my luck if I buy one, it will be the other that is bad.

i know this is an old thread but this is exactly what is happening to my laptop. did you ever figure out what is the problem? Anyone? please help

The card is intigrated on the motherboard. There is no cable.

There is a cable that goes from the Motherboard
to the LCD

Did any body found out about this problem my laptop went kaput on me with this problem the video will go crazy after a couple of minutes or if I press on the keyboard

I highly doubt it that it's the processor. I was working on my 450sx and when I would push the video ship the video would go crazy. There must be a short in the video. I wish that this video was removable but it's not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.