gerakis 0 Newbie Poster

I was using a custom built pc for about 9 months when my motherboard burnt out. This isn't a figure of speech; it literally set on fire.

I pulled the power cord and the fire went out immediately, but the corner of my motherboard was a blacked husk. I believe the culprit behind it was my cheap Taiwanese power supply. Luckily it was in a remote spot and it looked like nothing else was damaged.

I ordered a better PSU and an identical replacement mobo and started transferring parts into it. I was attempting to remove my heat sink from my cpu, but little did I realize that thermal paste turns into some kind of rubber cement after 9 months. I ended up completely ripping the cpu right out of the housing, still stuck to the back of my heat sink, without ever lifting that ZIF lever.

Some of the pins were bent, but I think I straightened them all back to pretty much where they were before. It fits into the new motherboard without force, and as far as I can tell no pins were broken.

I tried turning it on, just barebones with PSU, power switch, cpu and ram in it. Nothing happened. As far as I could tell it was totally lifeless, no POST, noise, fans, lights, or anything. I thought it was the motherboard, and replaced it again.

On the third motherboard I have the exact same problem, no POST or any signs of life at all. I tried replaceing the PSU, ram, and still it refuses to turn on. I tried using a jumper to replace the power switch, and that didnt work either. I sort of doubt I received 2 faulty mobos in a row with exactly the same problem, so that basically just leaves the CPU, right?

I have basically 4 questions:

What happens if you try to turn on an AM2 motherboard with either no cpu or a damaged cpu? Would fans, lights, ect turn on or would it be similar to my situation, totally dead? Does it depend on the board?

What happens if you try to turn on an AM2 motherboard without any RAM? Will it still POST, or be totally dead? I have 2 sticks of ram, I tried turning it on with both, then just one, then just the other, then none, and never saw any sign of life at all from my computer.

How delicate are CPUs? Can you rebend a few pins back into place or will any disturbance at all totally ruin it forever?

Is there any kind of thermal paste that doesn't turn into superglue over time? Is thermal paste even important or will a heatsink work without it?