gigabyte has alot of problems with there motherboard and i have gone to forums and have seen alot people get a bad motherboard when they buy it and they have alot of bios problems they like to over volt the processor
and i have a buddy that bought a gigabyte motherboard when we got it installed it wouldn't even boot we took it apart three time and it did the samething he rmaa it and it took the 3 to 4 week to get it and they sent him a new motherboard and i have talked to there tech support the just ignore the problem i had a problem with my motherboard over volting the processor and the bio wouldn't let me set it to the proper voltage and they told me that it was okay to run that way and when i got off the phone with them i called amd tech and they told me that is not the proper spec for my processor and that they would talk to gigabyte about the problem and it took them about a month and half to fix the problem

so it might be the mother board?

it could be i just wanted to let you know about gigabyte me personnally i will never buy there products again that is my opinion

I had a GigaByte board with my AMD machine. No complaints about it but I wasn't exactly thrilled with it either. It was just "okay". Then I got a P4 with an Asus motherboard and I've never been happier. Since then I will only buy from Asus. :)

What mobo should I get then? Something cheap but good. And if I do get a new mobo will my computer work?

do you know a place that works on computers in your area they have testers have them test the board and they will tell you if it is bad

I have an ASUS in mine and some of the bits in there are still from my old PC which fried. Check the mobo and processor specs against the OS that you wish to run as I discovered that you can't run win98 on a winxp mobo/processor combo.

Where abouts are you Unknown_Member?

Taking yours to get it tested first is definatley the way forward.

Price wise though I got a case, mobo, processor, extra fan, 256k RAM for about 150 (GBP) so just for a mobo it shouldn't be much

*Goes off to google some prices*

I have an ASUS in mine and some of the bits in there are still from my old PC which fried. Check the mobo and processor specs against the OS that you wish to run as I discovered that you can't run win98 on a winxp mobo/processor combo.

Where abouts are you Unknown_Member?

Taking yours to get it tested first is definatley the way forward.

Price wise though I got a case, mobo, processor, extra fan, 256k RAM for about 150 (GBP) so just for a mobo it shouldn't be much

*Goes off to google some prices*

You can run any OS on a modern x86 system. 9x/NT based, doesn't matter.

I agree with the testing.

Depending on the computer that flopy drive can most certainly hang up a system. As far as no video you might have a problem called chip creep.
Make sure that the red stripe on the floppy cable is set to 1 and that the video card is firmly seated. If it still does not boot up, the AGP slot on the motherboard might simply be bad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.