When I attempt to power up my Gateway ELP 500C all I get is an orange light [it used to be green]. My screen power button stays orange too and the screen stays black. Sometimes when I unplug my PC for a few hours it will start up as usual. My keyboard has no lights on [it usually has lights]. What can I do to fix this? Why the ORANGE light?

I am running Windows XP Professional.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The orange light is telling you that there is something wrong. It could be a lot of things, but the first guess should be power supply. Does the power supply fan turn on when the system is powered?

Yes it does. I've already switched a power supply cord a few days ago and it began to work just fine. It wouldn't power up at all then. Now I get that steady yellow light. I'm going to buy a new power supply and see if that makes any change. The one I used to replace the other was just as old. I also pushed the Reset button inside the tower and no change was noted. I then unplugged the unit and held down the power key for 15 seconds and rebooted the machine with no change. What should I look at next, provided the new power supply makes no improvement?

HI
you say when you uplug it and plug/ leave it powered down for a long time and restart than it powers up fine. that sounds like its the psu.now that you at it id recommend a higher wattage psu

HI
you say when you uplug it and plug/ leave it powered down for a long time and restart than it powers up fine. that sounds like its the psu.now that you at it id recommend a higher wattage psu

I will look up the compatible types of PSU’s for my unit and purchase a higher wattage one. Thanks. I hope it works...

Try thoroughly cleaning the inside of the case and power supply, blow them if necessary, and reseat all the connectors in the case. Make sure you make solid connections when you plug them back. Then restart.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.