My daughter is still using Win98 and I wanted to buy her an Epson printer R340. The documentation for this printer says that it works with Win98 ME etc. What is the difference between Win98 and ME that would make this printer not to work with Win98?

Thanks;

Dougie

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What is the difference between Win98 and ME that would make this printer not to work with Win98?

Well let's put it this way. What's the difference between a Ford Model T and a new Corvette? ;)

In a more technical sense, they have drastically different ways of contacting the scanner from the computer itself, for one. Also, their kernels (the software physically running) are quite different.

Well let's put it this way. What's the difference between a Ford Model T and a new Corvette? ;)

In a more technical sense, they have drastically different ways of contacting the scanner from the computer itself, for one. Also, their kernels (the software physically running) are quite different.

Whoops, I just noticed that Win98 ME wasn't the requirement for the EPSON printer, it is Win98 SE..... Does that make a difference?

Dougie

That's odd. Win98 and ME are 2 different operating systems.

Win 98 SE from what I recall (its been 8 years ;) ) is the most basic form of Win98.

But I guess that doesn't help ya on why it isn't working.

Could ya just reclarify what the exact problem is?

Win 98 SE from what I recall (its been 8 years ;) ) is the most basic form of Win98.

WRONG. SE means "second edition" its kinda like a service pack

if you go control panel -> system (or hold down the windows key and push pause/break) it should say whether its SE or not

But I guess that doesn't help ya on why it isn't working.

Stein;

If you read my first post it says that I wanted to buy my daughter an Epson printer to use with Win98. I don't have the printer yet. I didn't want to buy it and not have it work :-(

Looking at the specs for the Epson R-340 printer I initially thought it said that it worked with ME, 2000 and XP. The question on my first posting was what the difference was between Win98 and ME. I was wondering if the Epson printer would work with Win98.

After re-reading the specs I realized I had misread it. What it says is, is that it works with Win98 SE, ME, 2000, and XP.

The " SE " in Win98 stood for Second Edition. Her version of Win98 is 4.10.1998.

Sooooooo my new question is, will this printer work with just Win98 as it says it works with Win98 SE. What is the difference between Win98 and SE? And what would I need to use it with 98, if anything.

I hope this info clears everything up LOL!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help:-)

Dougie

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=58654762&category=Products

4.1.1998 means regular win 98 (not se)

SE has better driver support for things like printers and usb devices. Thats why the printer probably needs SE

4.1.1998 means regular win 98 (not se)

SE has better driver support for things like printers and usb devices. Thats why the printer probably needs SE

Win98 only supports USB 1. This printer is USB 2. I would think that the printer data transfer rate would just slow down to to the older generation of USB??

Dougie

probably. I use to have a SE laptop that worked fone with usb 2, just at 1.1 speed but i dont know if this is the case with first edition

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.