I'm quite new to fixing hardware problems so sorry if this is quite basic.

I've been having some trouble with my front USB ports and now I'm wondering if it's even possible for my computer to have them. I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium socket 939 motherboard. When I bought my PC the ports were already connected but not working correctly - they basically destroyed anything plugged into them. Upon reading about how to set up front USB I found that there should be pins on the motherboard labelled VCC, USB+ and - and Ground (or different names for the same thing). However, when reading my motherboard documentation there is no mention of front USB (or these pins) at all. The only kind of pins I can find relate to front panel audio connections.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something or whether it's just impossible for front USB ports to be connected to my motherboard? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this information is relevant but according to the stickied topic:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon Socket 939
Installed memory - 512MB RAM DDR (2 DIMMS)
Maximum memory - 4GB PC3200

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

take the sise off of case and look along the lower part of the board and you should see pluin for front usb

There were three usb connectors located near the cmos battery. Look for the usb marks printed on the board. You can use one of them as an extension for the usb devices (front and back chassis usb ports).

Solved - the problem was that the pins weren't attached to the correct headers, they were attached to the ones which power the front case LEDs for hard disk reading and such. Thanks very much for your answers!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.