ok i can not get any sound from my computer and i checked the device manager and i have 5 devices not working and i do not have a drivers cd

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What is your mobo brand/model? Is the sound card on-board? If not, what is the sound card brand/model?

okay I see this one is dead but I'm here to revive it with this same question instead of double posting.

My mother board is an ECS, not sure of the logistics since im not home right now. I have no disc's but need to download sound drivers, correct? Any recommendations and am I correct?

Yes, you need those drivers unless they are included with XP setup, but I seriously doubt that.

I recommend that you visit your mobo manufacturer's page and download the drivers from there. Not just sound drivers, but motherboard drivers too. And video drivers, if the video is on-board.

If you have some older soundcard that is not on-board, you can find those drivers at driverguide or Device Drivers Network.

Driverguide requires free registration.

Yes, you need those drivers unless they are included with XP setup, but I seriously doubt that.

I recommend that you visit your mobo manufacturer's page and download the drivers from there. Not just sound drivers, but motherboard drivers too. And video drivers, if the video is on-board.

If you have some older soundcard that is not on-board, you can find those drivers at driverguide or Device Drivers Network.

Driverguide requires free registration.

Okay! Chaky your the best, but if I can acquire more of your assistance that would be great. Here's what my motherboard is, ECS Elitegroup: NFORCE6M-A (V3.0)
NVIDIA Single-Chip and Socket new AM2+ for AMD Phenom™ Processor

I checked out the manufactures website and got a bunch of information on it that didn't or I can't seem to find at home when my Brother inLaw put my computer together.

I will try and see what I can do tonight; if nothing happens you will see me on here most likey tonight. haha!

Btw, do you happen to know how I can get my computer to shut down, restart, etc? When I chose start>shutdown> the computer does not fully shut down. Windows shuts down but the PSU and Screen -which stays blue- stays on and have to turn computer off by using the switch on the PSU. Any advice as to what to do?

Thanks so much for your help with the sound problem.

I've browsed through your mobo site and I've found those drivers you need:

Chipset drivers

LAN driver

Sound driver

Mobo manual

Latest BIOS

CPU driver (Cool 'n' Quiet feature)

Now, you have two choices:

1. You can download those drivers (above) from manufacturer's site. Those are not regularly updated. In fact, chipset drivers are 2 years old... *BUT!* those are recommendations from the manufacturer and that should be considered.

2. You can download latest chipset drivers from NVIDIA's site here. Those drivers match your chipset. I'm not certain, but I think that VGA driver is included. If not, try downloading this bundle also, but don't be surprised if you get the "no supported hardware found" message when you try to install.

I recommend that you visit your mobo download site occasionally and check for updates.

Regarding shutdown..
That is most likely related to lack of mobo drivers and/or video drivers. Once you install all of the needed drivers shutdown should work correctly.

P.S. Install chipset drivers first.

if it still won't shut down all the way after you install the drivers
right click on the desktop, go properties /screen saver /power, and in there you will find a spot to check off to used specific power options ,not on all computer ,not on mine so im not sure how its worded ,bad memory!!

Okay, so I tried installing the drivers I need from the website of my mobo, that went smoothly however, the last part of the installing where it asks you if you would like the program to restart your computer now or you do it later, is the problem.

I can't restart nor shutdown my computer so that is preventing my computer from finishing any installations or downloads for my computer web based games.

Are we having fun yet? LOL!

I've put in a ticket to ECS and haven't heard a word from them so I guess I have to take time out of my day to see if I can call them with my case #. Should any of you have any idea, tips, opinions I can find useful. Post them! Thank you!

The more I think about your case, the more I'm convinced that XP did not install properly in the beginning for the same reason your drivers didn't (rebooting issue).

There's a workaround for the need-to-restart-to-properly-install drivers. It takes allot of time, patience and PC expertise. It is called slipstreaming. That is incorporating drivers you need for your system into the windows installation CD (with an option to include service packs, hot-fixes, updates, utilities and to customize XP setup).
I can recommend nLite for it is relatively simple to use and is pretty well documented. It helped me avoid f6 drivers for my case.

Okay, I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home. I'm really sorry for this being such a hassle but ECS doesn't seem to be getting back to me at all regarding my mobo. I think that you may be right about XP not being installed properly. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help, you have NO idea!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.