I just got my new Asus 8l-raiser pci riser card in the mail today (for a pic, click on the link below. Also, I attached a copy of the pic). If I do not plug any cards into either of the slots on the riser card, leaving both of them empty, and plug only the empty riser card into a pci slot on the mother board, then the pc will power on perfectly fine, just as expected. However, if I have any pci card plugged into either of the pci slots on the riser card, the pc will not power on at all. I get absolutely nothing, no power or anything. I have tested the riser card on more than one computer, and I have tested it with different pci cards plugged into it. So it is not the motherboard, and it is not the pci card that is plugged into the riser card. This leads me to think that riser card is broken. However, I am not certain of that. Does anybody have advice? Is it broken, or could it be something else?

http://photos03.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/639/59/89/639598985

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There isn't much that can go wrong with that type of card apart from a manufacturing fault. If it was me, I would get it replaced.

The only other thing it could be is the possibility that your PSU isn't good enough. Can you have a look at it's label for it's make, wattage, and amperage on the 12volt rail(s). You will need to remove the side to see it I expect.

Win-Tact Electronic Corp.
WP609F11
Power Supply on first PC:
Output: +5V=30a +12V=16A +3.3V=20A
-5V=0.3A -12V=0.8A +5VSB=2A
Max Power - 300W (+5V & +3.3V Max Power 180W)

Power Supply on second PC:
+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB
22A 15A 14A 16A 0.3A 2.5A
Total Output is 450W Max

That is what the labels on the power supplies say. Is it more likely that there is a manufacturing fault on the riser card?

I would say so. What is the spec of the pc with the 300watt PSU tho?

I would say so. What is the spec of the pc with the 300watt PSU tho?

Intel Xeon CPU 2.66GHz (2 Processors)
4GB RAM
120GB Hard Drive
6 Ram Slots
3 64bit pci slots
1 32 bit pci slot
2 10/100/1000 ports
1 10/100 ethernet port
Server 08

I would say that a 300watt is a bit on the low side for a pc like that.

As an example, I have a socket 754 AMD 3200XP 2.1Ghz system and I use an Eye-t 450 watt PSU. I wouldn't run it with a lesser PSU than that.

I would say that a 300watt is a bit on the low side for a pc like that.

As an example, I have a socket 754 AMD 3200XP 2.1Ghz system and I use an Eye-t 450 watt PSU. I wouldn't run it with a lesser PSU than that.

Good point, thanks for the advice. I will look into upgrading it.

Because I have tested the riser card on multiple machines, I suppose I will send it back in for a replacement. thank you all!

Let me know how it goes. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.