Hello!! I recently put a new power supply in a Dell computer for a coworker, and the machine booted up fine for me and ran well. When he took the computer back home, he was able to use it for several hours, but the next day when he got home from work the machine would not boot up again.

The new power supply was rated exactly the same as the old one, could the system have a virus that is causing this to happen?

He is supposed to be bringing me the computer back so that I can play with it some more, and this time he is going to bring all of the software in case I have to reformat the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi Ittie Bittie :)

If there is no power whatsoever and all connections is fine firmly in place and with no sign of lights, fan spinning, monitor light etc only then you its most likely the PSU. Look for these signs when he brings the machine in.
it might be that something else is wrong now that you've replaced the files.
Post reply and Ill sort you out

cheers
sitas

Sitas, thank you for your reply!

Here is a little more detail into the background and the issue:

When he brought me the computer the first time around I opened the case so that I could see what was going on and then tried to power it up. Nothing at all, not even the faintest glimmer of a light or the gentle hum of a fan even attempting to spin. I took out the old PSU and then put the new one into place and PRESTO things were as good as (if not better than) new!

What I don't understand it why did the power supply blow again when he took it home and used it one good time? Is there a virus that can do this kind of thing, or might there be a short somewhere else? I need to ask him when he brings the machine back to me if he is running it with a surge protector...

I don't understand what you mean by "it might be that something else is wrong now that you've replaced the files" because I have not replaced any files... But, once I get the machine to power up again the first thing I am going to do is get an antivirus to run on it! :)

I don't understand what you mean by "it might be that something else is wrong now that you've replaced the files" because I have not replaced any files...

HI
i meant after replacing the PSU. sorry for that.
Can it be a virus?dont wanna sound conceited when talking pc's but I dont thinnk a virus has that potential specially not on a PSU. Sortage...?Defnitely posible. when he brings it back fisrst make sure theres power if theres power than its all good. if there aint any power...Again... then there might be a sortage...

lets take it from there

When he brings it back to me and I get it home and plugged into the wall and see no signs of life is there any way I can test with a multimeter to see if there is any juice getting anywhere?

If theres no sign of life than its psu and like I said you're instict will immediately take effect, thats a sortage somewhere at his howuse. Other than that well have to wait and see what the actuall cause is before I can start to give you some good suggestions :)

He has the machine with him today, so I will be able to take it home tonight and see what is going on inside. I'll keep you posted as soon as I find out something.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.