Hi,
My pen drive appears completely dead when I insert it. I can't select in anywhere and the light is not coming on. Is there any way of getting the information from it before it goes in the bin?

Thanks.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

how old is it and what have you been using it for (please dont say windows readyboost...) it may have just worn out

Hi,
My pen drive appears completely dead when I insert it. I can't select in anywhere and the light is not coming on. Is there any way of getting the information from it before it goes in the bin?

Thanks.

Windows Vista Home Premium

are you sure it the drive and not the usb slot ,try plugging in elsewhere

I've never heard of anybody recovering data off of a dead flash drive. I'd strip off the case and look at the guts of it, it might just be a broken connector that you could patch to transfer data, if not then you're probably going to lose it.

It's a Sumvision pen drive, just used to save regular files from Word or Interactive Whiteboard etc. It's a couple of years old. I've tried it in 3 different machines, dead every time.

Cheers

if its a few years old, it probably just wore out / battery died if it had one

Are there people who can sort that kind of thing at all?

not really. If so, they will probably charge like $1000.

Are there people who can sort that kind of thing at all?

its possiably just broke ,wore out no way of fixing ,but its also possible that one or more of the 4 connection to the MainBoard is broke away from the MB,if you can take it apart to check if solder is broken ,i have a usb wireless device that is broke away and i took it apart to solder the joint again !now it works

Yep, There are some basic connections that you could repair yourself, at least well enough to get the data off. But if you're not a solder tech it would probably just be the USB pins you could work with.

Because of the nature of flash drives the data is stored on a proprietary chip, connected to the board by dozens of small solder points. I doubt anybody would recover the data for you if the board couldn't be repaired.

My brother cracked open the sealed unit and managed to solder it and get it working to burn the data on cd. Thanks for all the responses everyone, they saved me from a whole world of stress! Note to self...back up your pen drive immediately!!
Cheers

My brother cracked open the sealed unit and managed to solder it and get it working to burn the data on cd. Thanks for all the responses everyone, they saved me from a whole world of stress! Note to self...back up your pen drive immediately!!
Cheers

great news ! gotta like it when someone gets takes the bull by the horns and gets it done!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.